06 YZ450F Fork questions

8 replies to this topic
  • Fletch 2

Posted March 26, 2009 - 11:40 PM

Hi,
i need to know what size fork cap wrench to get for my YZ450, i cant find it in the manual anywhere, also i need a guide as to what effects different wieght oils will have so i have a better idea of what to get wheather it be light, medium or heavy. Any help would be great.
Cheers.

• kawamaha

Posted March 26, 2009 - 11:56 PM

outer fork cap is 49mm, inner wrench is a 36mm octagon.
you have to do a search here for different weight fork oils, but I think 99% would recommend a 5wt fluid, at least in the inner chamber

• Wiz636

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi,
i need to know what size fork cap wrench to get for my YZ450, i cant find it in the manual anywhere, also i need a guide as to what effects different wieght oils will have so i have a better idea of what to get wheather it be light, medium or heavy. Any help would be great.
Cheers.

A suspension guy could explain this much better than I but the twin chamber forks are not designed to have their action manipulated by different 'weights' of oil.

I whole-heartedly recommend using the Smart Performance 215.VM2.K5 'Taco Sauce' in your forks. Do a search in this forum for it or contact DaveJ.

• achap

Posted March 27, 2009 - 10:15 AM

A suspension guy could explain this much better than I but the twin chamber forks are not designed to have their action manipulated by different 'weights' of oil.

I whole-heartedly recommend using the Smart Performance 215.VM2.K5 'Taco Sauce' in your forks. Do a search in this forum for it or contact DaveJ.

I thought SPI's oil was different for different chambers??? They have SPI-3, SPI-4, and SPI-5, each for different areas and usage. Not sure if the numbers relate to oil weight or not.

BTW... i am loving my SPI oil and valving!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hondacrf05

Posted March 27, 2009 - 12:38 PM

Kayaba uses 2.5 in the innerchamber. Showa is 5wt. I have been told that you run the lighter weight in the innerchamber so when the forks fade from heat you don't notice it as much (they are comparable to a shock).I have tried 2.5,3,5,and 10wt in the outter chamber and really couldn't notice a differance.

• Fletch 2

Posted March 27, 2009 - 04:13 PM

ok no worries, my manual recommends using S1 suspension oil, not sure if that has any reference to oil weight. I'll have a dig through this forum anyway and see what i can find. thanks.

• mog

Posted March 28, 2009 - 08:00 AM

S1 is a 5wt.

• hondacrf05

Posted March 29, 2009 - 10:21 AM

S1 is a 5wt.

sso1 comes in 5 and 2.5, but it is over priced. 39$ at local yamaha dealership.

• mog

Posted March 29, 2009 - 10:23 AM

ok i will re write my answer, i would use the ss01 5 wt in forks :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.