06 YZ450F Fork questions

8 replies to this topic
  • Fletch 2

Posted March 26, 2009 - 11:40 PM

Hi,
i need to know what size fork cap wrench to get for my YZ450, i cant find it in the manual anywhere, also i need a guide as to what effects different wieght oils will have so i have a better idea of what to get wheather it be light, medium or heavy. Any help would be great.
Cheers.

• kawamaha

Posted March 26, 2009 - 11:56 PM

outer fork cap is 49mm, inner wrench is a 36mm octagon.
you have to do a search here for different weight fork oils, but I think 99% would recommend a 5wt fluid, at least in the inner chamber

• Wiz636

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi,
i need to know what size fork cap wrench to get for my YZ450, i cant find it in the manual anywhere, also i need a guide as to what effects different wieght oils will have so i have a better idea of what to get wheather it be light, medium or heavy. Any help would be great.
Cheers.

A suspension guy could explain this much better than I but the twin chamber forks are not designed to have their action manipulated by different 'weights' of oil.

I whole-heartedly recommend using the Smart Performance 215.VM2.K5 'Taco Sauce' in your forks. Do a search in this forum for it or contact DaveJ.

• achap

Posted March 27, 2009 - 10:15 AM

A suspension guy could explain this much better than I but the twin chamber forks are not designed to have their action manipulated by different 'weights' of oil.

I whole-heartedly recommend using the Smart Performance 215.VM2.K5 'Taco Sauce' in your forks. Do a search in this forum for it or contact DaveJ.

I thought SPI's oil was different for different chambers??? They have SPI-3, SPI-4, and SPI-5, each for different areas and usage. Not sure if the numbers relate to oil weight or not.

BTW... i am loving my SPI oil and valving!!!

• hondacrf05

Posted March 27, 2009 - 12:38 PM

Kayaba uses 2.5 in the innerchamber. Showa is 5wt. I have been told that you run the lighter weight in the innerchamber so when the forks fade from heat you don't notice it as much (they are comparable to a shock).I have tried 2.5,3,5,and 10wt in the outter chamber and really couldn't notice a differance.

• Fletch 2

Posted March 27, 2009 - 04:13 PM

ok no worries, my manual recommends using S1 suspension oil, not sure if that has any reference to oil weight. I'll have a dig through this forum anyway and see what i can find. thanks.

• mog

Posted March 28, 2009 - 08:00 AM

S1 is a 5wt.

• hondacrf05

Posted March 29, 2009 - 10:21 AM

S1 is a 5wt.

sso1 comes in 5 and 2.5, but it is over priced. 39$ at local yamaha dealership.

• mog

Posted March 29, 2009 - 10:23 AM

ok i will re write my answer, i would use the ss01 5 wt in forks :thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.