Is 2004 yzf450 good woods bike

7 replies to this topic
  • ryno48

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:53 PM

Just wondring if this bike would be a good all around bike with only having 4 gears.

• 642MX

Posted March 26, 2009 - 04:44 PM

You'll probably want to go up a couple teeth on the rear sprocket, but yes, the 4 speed 450 can be a great all around bike.

Other popular mods to make them a little more "woods friendly" are the Rekluse auto-clutches and flywheel weights.

Welcome to TT!

• cumminsgetsome

Posted March 26, 2009 - 06:24 PM

I have an 04 and am running 14 /49 gearing. I love it, I put a pro circuit pipe on it and it really boosted the low end. I use my bike for tight single track, and also hill climb with it. It is a monster.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 26, 2009 - 07:50 PM

I have a 04 that I use for woods mainly and the occasional MX track I run 14/47 gearing and love it on the trails makes 1st gear more usable on the really tight single track IMO.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ryno48

Posted March 27, 2009 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for the quick responce and advice. I was thinking of riding a couple enduros if I get this bike and was wondering about only having 4 gears.

• TIG88

Posted March 27, 2009 - 04:59 AM

You'll love it for woods. I have an 03 which is the same bike, and a flywheel weight is definately in order. I typically stay in first gear.

• oeder8140j

Posted April 07, 2009 - 10:12 AM

a flywheel weight is definately in order.

I got the 16oz and it made a world of difference with stalling.

1st gear is a little high and you will find yourself on the brakes a lot going down hills in the woods but gear it down and you should be fine. You might look into a nice skid plate and radiator guards as well.

• mxrider250br

Posted April 07, 2009 - 04:49 PM

got one pretty much stock and its not bad. i like it. might change my sprockets here soon and see where i find myself. like the abe post, i might do 14/47. we'll see. but 4 gears not a problem tho.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.