I need a push towards the WR450F

27 replies to this topic
  • beezer

Posted March 27, 2009 - 01:14 PM

You doing the Greenbriar Enduro?

I don't like the sand so no.

I got a plate on my 450 so I use that for Dual Sports.

When I ride the odd enduro I use a WR250. I like the 250 better in the tight stuff.

• Sycamore

Posted March 27, 2009 - 02:03 PM

I don't like the sand so no.

I got a plate on my 450 so I use that for Dual Sports.

When I ride the odd enduro I use a WR250. I like the 250 better in the tight stuff.

Yeah that's what I bought mine for too and I'm kind of made I have to ride my 450 instead of one of my other bikes. Jersey makes you tag your bike to race enduros so thus far it's the only bike that is. Still, I rode there as a kid so it should be fun:banana:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 27, 2009 - 07:54 PM

Don't lower the wr. I went that route. I am 5-9 with a 31 inch inseam and would tip over. I wanted to be able to get my feet down more and stop tipping over. It was the worst thing I ever did to my bike.

I had the springs cut in the front. Then I was told to simply crank down on the rear. That jacked up the suspension in the rear and made the bike bounce all over the place. That was so bad that I had it raised back up. Then I just cut the seat a bit and learned to deal with it, which is what you should do.

Be careful where you stop and look for that spot where you can put your feet down. Stand up and go a little faster, even in the slow technical stuff. Get a rekluse. Its the same price as getting someone to lower it properly and it will really stabilize things for you in the slow technical stuff where you normally tip over.

My bike is now at full height and I know that when I tip over, its because I'm going too slow and lost my forward momentum.

Good luck with your wr.

• erickdj

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:58 PM

I am 5-9 with a 31 inch inseam and would tip over.

How can you tip over at your size?:thumbsup: I wouldn't say you're "short". At 5'5" I do OK with the WR, stock height and stock seat. Can't plant both feet simultaneously, but I get by just fine.:usa:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted March 28, 2009 - 06:21 AM

It's balance that keeps you from falling over. I have a buddy that's short and he rarely tips over because the little bastard is just good.

I'm 6'1" and sometimes I just run out of talent and fall over like Artie Johnson on Laugh In.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 28, 2009 - 07:08 AM

How can you tip over at your size?:thumbsup: I wouldn't say you're "short". At 5'5" I do OK with the WR, stock height and stock seat. Can't plant both feet simultaneously, but I get by just fine.:usa:

Inexperience and bad decisions. I would always stop the bike in places where I couldn't get a foot down.

Now that I am better (allegedly!), I keep the bike leaned over a little and just use one foot. I balance much better. Also, I try stand up and to never stop in those bad places. I try to know where I'm going to put my foot down.

I learned this after spending big bucks on getting my bike lowered, only to have it set back to stock height.

this is why I recommend he not do any lowering.

• mightymart

Posted March 28, 2009 - 09:58 AM

Everyone seems to be worried about the extra weight :thumbsup: but are we enduro or motocross superstars "NO" 15kg difference between the yz450 & the wr450, so when you add up the weight of the lights, starter etc theres your extra weight ! & to be honest I would rather the extra weight & have those bits on.
The days of the kick start are over (Espically for a 40 year old) electric boot all the way. At the end of the day the WR will be a better bike than we will be riders. You wont go far wrong with a WR.

• erickdj

Posted March 28, 2009 - 08:33 PM

Inexperience and bad decisions. I would always stop the bike in places where I couldn't get a foot down.

Now that I am better (allegedly!), I keep the bike leaned over a little and just use one foot. I balance much better. Also, I try stand up and to never stop in those bad places. I try to know where I'm going to put my foot down.

I learned this after spending big bucks on getting my bike lowered, only to have it set back to stock height.

this is why I recommend he not do any lowering.

Yeah, that makes sense. In fact, that's pretty much been my story. Except for the lowering the bike part. As they say, it's 90% technique. I've learned to work with the bikes characteristics and adapt to it, instead of trying to make it adapt to me. I know I love my WR to death.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.