I need a push towards the WR450F

27 replies to this topic
  • Brian2071

Posted March 26, 2009 - 01:47 PM

Newbie here but I've been lurking for awhile. I'm getting back into riding on two wheels after a 15 year hiatus. My question is whether to go to the YZ450F or to the WR450F. I leaning towards the WR but I could use a push.

The terrain will be all SoCal desert (Ocotillo Wells) so there is a mix of technical slower type trails, lots of sandy washes, lots of whoops and considerable room for some high speed stuff. All my friends ride either YZ450's and CRF450R's. At 48 years old, comfort and reliability are more important so the WR with its electric start, lights and trip computer seem the way to go.

With rider experience being equal, will the WR keep up well enough with my buddies track bikes or should I be looking for a YZ? One note...I will be having the suspension on the WR totally reworked to match my weight.

• h20mn

Posted March 26, 2009 - 04:02 PM

Ride johnson/lucerne valley same type of riding. have no problem keeping up with buddys yz. Do get tired in tight stuff because of the extra weight but the electric start at 53 years old is worth it.

• garr87v

Posted March 26, 2009 - 04:29 PM

If your not going to hit the track i would go with a WR450, I keep up with guy's on YZ and CRF all the time. I usually pass them or leave th behind in the tight stuff :usa: I love the wr and the easy button is sweet in the technical stuff.:thumbsup:

• diegox450

Posted March 26, 2009 - 04:33 PM

Yessss.... magic button + confortable suspension + trip computer + headlights... very nice bike man! Bullet proof as you take care of her...

Good luck with your choice

• caryder

Posted March 26, 2009 - 04:43 PM

In a similar position. 49 years old, bought a WR over a YZ... Never owned a WR (or similar race capable enduro) before. Always went the MX route.

I have an 04 WR450 and even with all the extra's on it, I simply removed the tools from the fender packs and did a track day. I even left the mirror and license plate on... Still had a good track day. It's not a CR250 (previous bike), but with the normal stock power mod removals it's not lacking in power, in fact better than my 98 YZ400F. A WR450 is pretty much a do anything bike.

If your not going to hit the track i would go with a WR450, I keep up with guy's on YZ and CRF all the time. I usually pass them or leave th behind in the tight stuff :usa: I love the wr and the easy button is sweet in the technical stuff.:thumbsup:

• wobblyknobby

Posted March 26, 2009 - 05:21 PM

The reliability of the WR is why I went WR. The bikes are really good at speed too. My WR soaks up some pretty ugly terrain and likes it. It is a really good design. +1 WR :thumbsup:

• YamaLink

Posted March 26, 2009 - 05:46 PM

Seeing as how you will have the suspension worked for you the YZ can be made "comfortable." So the other factor is reliability, and both the WR and YZF have that.

All that's left is the magic button. Once you get the drill down pat the YZF won't be difficult unless you have a knee/leg/hip issue...or if you stall/crash often. You know that reality better than any of us.

Having said that, knowing what you told us, I'd go with the lighter YZF if it's an 08 or 09 (again: if the magic button isn't crucial for you). Gosh, this truly is a win-win situation for you. Good luck!

• ARyder

Posted March 26, 2009 - 05:57 PM

I went through the same decision process when I bought my 06 WR450 in Dec. I wanted the "performance" of the YZF but really liked the option of the majic button. It's true that when you get the starting/kicking procedure down, the bike starts with one kick. It's just at those times when you've been riding all day and just really don't want to kick it, that you just push that majic button :-)
My WR is getting suspension work done too. I actually go pick it up tommorrow afternoon and had it springed (is that a word? lol) for my weight and also had it revalved for my riding style/terrain.
The WR is really a do it all bike. I love mine and it's still stock. No mods whatsoever....engine wise......for now :-)

• Sierra_rider

Posted March 26, 2009 - 08:22 PM

Its not always about power, sometimes its easier to go fast with more managable power. Unless your buddies happen to be James Stewart or Chad Reed, a WR isn't going to have any problem keeping up.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted March 26, 2009 - 08:27 PM

I have the WR. The wide ratio tranny is great for trail rides. The button is great also. You'll get the suspension done, which is good.

But, its heavier than a yz by about 35-40lbs. You'll feel it.

I raced my wr450 until I got some good sense and bought a yz250 for that purpose. I still love the wr450 so much I'll never get rid of it.

My opinion is that if you are a little taller 5-11 or so, then the wr will be fine. Its heavier and you will need to get your feet down to stop it from wanting to tip over. But if you can't get your feet down, get the yz with a rekluse clutch. If will never shut off and you won't need the e start so much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • erickdj

Posted March 26, 2009 - 09:11 PM

Newbie here but I've been lurking for awhile. I'm getting back into riding on two wheels after a 15 year hiatus. My question is whether to go to the YZ450F or to the WR450F. I leaning towards the WR but I could use a push.

The terrain will be all SoCal desert (Ocotillo Wells) so there is a mix of technical slower type trails, lots of sandy washes, lots of whoops and considerable room for some high speed stuff. All my friends ride either YZ450's and CRF450R's. At 48 years old, comfort and reliability are more important so the WR with its electric start, lights and trip computer seem the way to go.

With rider experience being equal, will the WR keep up well enough with my buddies track bikes or should I be looking for a YZ? One note...I will be having the suspension on the WR totally reworked to match my weight.

You sound like the perfect candidate for a new WR! Just uncork it, and upgrade the suspension, you'll love that bike!:thumbsup: I own both, an 07 WR and an 08 YZ. Both are AWESOME bikes, they are great at what they do, that's the reason I bought both. Best of both worlds that way. If I could only have one bike though, it would have to be the WR.(modded and tricked out, that is)

• jams229

Posted March 27, 2009 - 06:59 AM

[quote name='Brian2071']Newbie here but I've been lurking for awhile. I'm getting back into riding on two wheels after a 15 year hiatus. My question is whether to go to the YZ450F or to the WR450F. I leaning towards the WR but I could use a push.

The terrain will be all SoCal desert (Ocotillo Wells) so there is a mix of technical slower type trails, lots of sandy washes, lots of whoops and considerable room for some high speed stuff. QUOTE]

"technical trails" in the SoCal desert? I've never heard of such a thing! :thumbsup:

• Sycamore

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:31 AM

The WR is sweet for sure and the electric start comes in handy but kicking it isn't all that bad either IMO. Depending on the kind of riding I was doing would make the decission for me. If I raced, or rarely ever did long distance jaunts, where lights, speed, trips to baja were ever needed I'd go YZ and enjoy the light weight and more power..the YZ is fun, get a rekluse and it wont stall so the ES isnt that much of a factor.

If I wanted a bike to do other things mentioned above it's WR all the way and with the so-called free mods, power is there for sure..but so is the weight of all those extras, to be fair as porky as the WR is, it carrys it's girth quite well.

• Brian2071

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:32 AM

Thanks. That is the push I needed. You guys made it pretty clear that the WR would be a good choice. I always thought it would be. The only negative thoughts I had was the added weight and the softer suspension over the YZ's. I can handle the extra weight and I will getting the suspension reworked to my weight so it all looks good.

The only problem I see is with the height of these new bikes. At 5'8" and short legs all these bikes will be a little challenging. I heard that the best way to lower it is with the suspension because the lowering links will affect the handling. My question is...if they lower the bike through the supension won't you be losing some of that valuable travel.

• erickdj

Posted March 27, 2009 - 09:11 AM

Thanks. That is the push I needed. You guys made it pretty clear that the WR would be a good choice. I always thought it would be. The only negative thoughts I had was the added weight and the softer suspension over the YZ's. I can handle the extra weight and I will getting the suspension reworked to my weight so it all looks good.

The only problem I see is with the height of these new bikes. At 5'8" and short legs all these bikes will be a little challenging. I heard that the best way to lower it is with the suspension because the lowering links will affect the handling. My question is...if they lower the bike through the supension won't you be losing some of that valuable travel.

The "softer" suspension will be taken care of when you have your suspension re-worked for your weight/riding style. The weight is really not that bad, with the suspension fixed the weight is not a problem.

Height is not too bad either. At 5'8" your legs can't be any shorter than mine, I'm 5'5" and don't have particularly long legs. I get by just fine as it is. I haven't lowered the bike or shaved the seat, it's all stock height. I didn't want to spend money on something that will rob the bike of suspension travel, ground clearance, and possibly harm the handling. To me, that would have been like throwing money down the drain. And I can kick start it just fine, in fact, that's how I start it 99% of the time.

• tribalbc

Posted March 27, 2009 - 11:00 AM

There are lots of plus's to the WR for offroad besides the E start.
Heavier flywheel
Smoother more useable power for less wheelspin in the tight stuff
18" rear wheel
Wide ratio transmission
Better gearing for Offroad and a good quality O ring chain
Coolant catch tank
Not to mention the lighting and speedo

As for hanging with the YZ's it's 99% rider. An uncorked and piped WR is really close HP wise and there's not too many riders out there that the couple HP will make a difference. It's got to be pretty damned wide open.

The WR will treat you better in the tight stuff where you can be passing them :thumbsup:

This is of course with the suspension set up right for you and uncorked.

It's pretty easy to shave 10lbs off these bikes as well bringing the weight range a little closer to on par.

• YamaLink

Posted March 27, 2009 - 11:42 AM

Lowering the bike via internal spacers will take away travel but will not effect geometry or leverage like a lowering link or rocker. Most good suspension shops can do this for you.

Lowering the bike via a rocker with an increased leverage ratio not only makes the bike more plush on square edge and braking bumps it also puts more leverage on the wheel which makes it travel through its arc easier = will bottom easier. Remedy for 99% of riders is - after resetting sag - to turn in the high speed compression (the big knob, not the flat blade) no more than 1/8 turn and go in on the rebound at least two clicks. As for the forks & getting a balanced ride, slide them up in the triple clamps at a starting point of 6mm (there is no 1:1 ratio needed of fork height change versus rear height change). Fine tune a few mm this way or that way until you have a quick turning (but not oversteering) and stable WR (but not so slow it feels like a NHRA dragster in the tight stuff).

• beezer

Posted March 27, 2009 - 11:50 AM

With a pipe and a YZ exhaust cam the WR is a very fast dirtbike.

• Sycamore

Posted March 27, 2009 - 01:01 PM

Lowering the WR would be a last resort since it already sits one inch lower then the other bikes and is probably the worse thing I hate about the bike. BUT, it's probably why the bike feels lighter then it is. Try everything else before taking such a step.

I have to disagree with one poster..in the tight stuff the YZ will work better due to its weight advantage. Also I'm one who believes the right bike makes a way bigger difference then most say.

To me it's:
60 percent rider
20 percent bike setup..this should probably be more
20 bike

• Sycamore

Posted March 27, 2009 - 01:03 PM

With a pipe and a YZ exhaust cam the WR is a very fast dirtbike.

You doing the Greenbriar Enduro?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.