New WR450F for new member HELP

12 replies to this topic
  • cjrebov185

Posted March 26, 2009 - 12:11 PM

I just purchased a new WR450F and I just joined this thread. I'm sure this was talked about numerous times, but I'm not really mechincally inclined and wanted to know how hard is it to just change the throttle stop screw and take the plug out of the exhaust. What tools do I need, and is it really easy?
Appreciate any feedback.

Chris

• dirtrider999

Posted March 26, 2009 - 01:04 PM

well taking out the exhaust baffle is realy easy. all you need is allen keys and remove the 6 outside screws then the 4 inside and take out the pee shooter baffle.

• CharWR450

Posted March 27, 2009 - 06:52 AM

The best and right way to change the throttle stop screw is by taking out the carb.
But i think it's more easy and with less work for you if you remove the muffler and the header. You will have more access to work. For the throttle stop screw use an allen key.

• cjrebov185

Posted March 27, 2009 - 09:07 AM

Thank you for responding. I read a thread where someone changed the screw without taking anything off. If I cut my alen key to make it straight and go up from the bottom with extensions on my wrench will that work?

• cjrebov185

Posted March 27, 2009 - 09:09 AM

Thanks a bunch for replying. I'm getting the bike today and can't wait to ride!

• trailhead2004

Posted March 27, 2009 - 10:08 AM

Yes, you can get at it from the bottom. Just as you said, use one or two long extensions and go up from teh bottom through the hole in the swingarm for the shock. Make sure your seat is removed so you can kind of see where you're aiming the socket.

trailhead

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted March 27, 2009 - 10:11 AM

The only way to change the throttle stop without pulling the shock is with a ball end allen socket with a long extenstion. It is possible to do without one but it is a royal PITA and easier to simply pull the shock.

You might want to consider this to minimize your frustrations.
Buy an ALJ (adjustable leak jet) and stiffer AP spring. I prefer the ones from Merge Racing. Once you have everything, pull your carb. Install the stop, ALJ, spring and any other jetting changes with the carb out and on a clean white towel on your bench. This way, you only have to deal with the difficult areas of the carb one time. Keep your fuel fresh (with Stabil in it) and clean, you may never have to pull the carb again, at least till you decide to mess with the engine.

• cjrebov185

Posted March 31, 2009 - 07:41 AM

Thanks again for all the information. I was able to change the throttle stop and take out the restriction plug. It sure does run much better. Fast enough for me now. I put about 60 miles on the bike and I am thinking I better change the oil soon. You guys are the best, and I'll try to submit some pics.

• erickdj

Posted March 31, 2009 - 11:20 AM

Thanks again for all the information. I was able to change the throttle stop and take out the restriction plug. It sure does run much better. Fast enough for me now. I put about 60 miles on the bike and I am thinking I better change the oil soon. You guys are the best, and I'll try to submit some pics.

Yeah, on a new bike definitely change the oil and oil filter after 60 miles. Every 150-200 miles after that. Oil filter every other oil change. Once you get used to the current power, do the airbox mod, remove the exhaust baffle completely, disconnect the grey wire, and go up one size on the pilot & main jets. Be ready to be amazed by the power once again when you do that.

• cjrebov185

Posted March 31, 2009 - 11:23 AM

Really? I can't wait to ride it again. I might take off work on Thursday because the weather is suppose to be great. Another question if you still read, I know I'm still breaking my bike in, but it seems in 5th gear pretty much open throttle that my top speed was close to 60MPH. Dirt bike magazine claims 115MPH top speed. Anyone with info into the top speed of the WR 450F?

• face_plant

Posted March 31, 2009 - 12:45 PM

depends on gearing and where you are riding
and what year.
i had my 05 up to 120 before the headshake and that was little over half throttle 14/41 gearing
with my dirt setup 14/56 i get around 65-75 but it will rev to 12k and over 10 i get scarried

• erickdj

Posted March 31, 2009 - 12:59 PM

Really? I can't wait to ride it again. I might take off work on Thursday because the weather is suppose to be great. Another question if you still read, I know I'm still breaking my bike in, but it seems in 5th gear pretty much open throttle that my top speed was close to 60MPH. Dirt bike magazine claims 115MPH top speed. Anyone with info into the top speed of the WR 450F?

Your bike probably topped out @ 60 because it's still restricted. The magazine claim of 115mph is overly exaggerated, it's more around 90mph with stock gearing and the bike completely uncorked. It will also depend on terrain/traction. The speedo measures speed at the front wheel, it won't account for extra wheel spin at the back tire. Best way to test it out would be to find a LONG, straight, and CLEAR road where you can wind it out, but then we're getting into other "issues" by doing that. So I guess you can just take out word for it and be safe. I doubt the average person wants to go @ 90mph on a dirt road.

• cjrebov185

Posted April 01, 2009 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't either. It runs great just how it is now-thanks

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.