08 YZ450F Suspension settings

28 replies to this topic
  • FiremanKay

Posted March 30, 2009 - 04:17 PM

quick update, used racetech's calculator on their website. Stock springs good for 200lbs. The recommended lights springs for 190lbs.

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 30, 2009 - 05:13 PM

Yes, I have been looking into Race Tech for some time now. I found a website that is really dirt cheap on parts. I would tell everyone, but I don't want to pitch or anything weird like that.
I found out that I need 5.6 or 5.8 KG/MM springs on the shock, and .48KG/MM springs on the forks. If I change the springs do I go back to stock settings for a baseline? What should the sag be set at? I keep hearing 100-105 but that is a difference, so what does everyone use? Thanks for all the help guys!

• Kalar01

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:24 AM

I run on the deep side for sag 105-110mm. I ride endero/single track & desert

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:49 AM

Cornering will improve with the sag at 95-98.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 31, 2009 - 10:45 AM

Thanks for all the input! I was at the local shop, and am getting to know the service manger there. He told me that the shop uses a website to order the parts for the bikes and all of their oils and etc... Example: Bel Ray Chain lube they sell it for $16.99, the website is $9.97. I have not found any cheaper anywhere!

Check it out

www.cheapcycleparts.com

This is a thank you to all that have helped me out!

• writebrian

Posted March 31, 2009 - 03:47 PM

I too am a heavier rider (235lbs on 06' 450) and cant afford a revalve now but can afford new springs. Should I just drop in new springs and play with sag rebound etc until I can afford revalve or does it all have to be done at once? I ride 70% trails (fairly aggresive) and 30% track (slowest in the pack). What would be a good spring/shock combo to go up to?

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 31, 2009 - 04:01 PM

Thats a good question, kinda the answer I have been looking for. But I ride 100% moto and am a fast paced rider. I like to jump and throw the bike around, I have an agressive style of riding.:thumbsup:

• FiremanKay

Posted April 01, 2009 - 04:38 PM

I too am a heavier rider (235lbs on 06' 450) and cant afford a revalve now but can afford new springs. Should I just drop in new springs and play with sag rebound etc until I can afford revalve or does it all have to be done at once? I ride 70% trails (fairly aggresive) and 30% track (slowest in the pack). What would be a good spring/shock combo to go up to?

Okay I wont claim to know tons about springs but I have resprung a few bikes. Anyway, you may just want to leave your springs alone. A revalve would be good down the road but unless you are B mid pack, you wont really get TONs out of it. The reason I say leave your stock springs is because you do 70% trails. You want a softer spring for the woods and if you feel good out there right now I couldnt change the bike much. Its really had to have a bike that does both well because there are just conflicting behaviors. Stiffer springs are going to change the bike a lot in the woods. Right now your springs are like WR springs for the lighter riders... if you get me.

• rdefonce

Posted April 02, 2009 - 08:37 AM

Okay I wont claim to know tons about springs but I have resprung a few bikes. Anyway, you may just want to leave your springs alone. A revalve would be good down the road but unless you are B mid pack, you wont really get TONs out of it. The reason I say leave your stock springs is because you do 70% trails. You want a softer spring for the woods and if you feel good out there right now I couldnt change the bike much. Its really had to have a bike that does both well because there are just conflicting behaviors. Stiffer springs are going to change the bike a lot in the woods. Right now your springs are like WR springs for the lighter riders... if you get me.

You are right if they are just barely undersprung, but if way undersprung then it would be better to go with higher spring rate regardless of track or trail.
Here's why (learned from my KTM200 experience): my bike was quite undersprung, set up for a 140 lb rider, I'm 165. I cranked up spring pre-load, which caused it to be really harsh. Swapped to HIGHER spring rate on both ends, required less preload. The harshness went away, stiffer springs were more plush because they were pre-loaded less!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.