08 YZ450F Suspension settings

28 replies to this topic
  • 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 26, 2009 - 07:37 AM

I am a 225lb rider, and am having some issues on the track with setup. Its a 1/2 supercross 1/2 fast outdoor style track. I do not know alot about suspension setup, always had someone help me out with it. The rebound feels fast on the YZF, like if I come up short on a jump it comes back at me fast. I have stock springs and it is set at 100mm sag, with stock settings. I just need a push in the right direction, without revalving the bike. Thanks!

• Wiz636

Posted March 26, 2009 - 08:41 AM

At 225 lbs you really should re-spring the bike but since you are looking for advice not involving reworking the suspension I guess the simple answer to your question of the rebound being too fast would be to slow it down.

The shock on the YZ is somewhat notorious for not having much rebound damping so riders typically turn the rebound clicker in several clicks from the stock setting. When my suspension was stock I was usually running my shock rebound at 6 clicks out...meaning turn it all the way in until you feel resistance and then back it out 6 clicks.

I don't recall what the stock setting is but try turning your shock rebound in two clicks and testing it. Once you get your shock dialed in then work on the forks.

• poynedexter

Posted March 26, 2009 - 08:41 AM

i'm 160 plus gear on stock springs with a lighter rear (52.5n) so i'd say at 225 you should have heavier front and rear.

the problem then comes that the standard shock is valved lightly on rebound so if you increase the spring rate you are going to need even more reb damping

try running the reb clicker at 7 out. any tighter and you will be making the compression harsh cause the little reb needle which the clicker effects, also restricts oil flow on compression to an extent. if you dont believe me, set the reb clicker full in and push down on the rear end to feel how hard it is.

i have had my 08 revalved for more ls comp and reb damping. the rear is much more stable now.

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2009 - 09:12 AM

i'm 160 plus gear on stock springs with a lighter rear (52.5n) so i'd say at 225 you should have heavier front and rear.

the problem then comes that the standard shock is valved lightly on rebound so if you increase the spring rate you are going to need even more reb damping

try running the reb clicker at 7 out. any tighter and you will be making the compression harsh cause the little reb needle which the clicker effects, also restricts oil flow on compression to an extent. if you dont believe me, set the reb clicker full in and push down on the rear end to feel how hard it is.

i have had my 08 revalved for more ls comp and reb damping. the rear is much more stable now.

The crossover of the two clickers on the shock is pretty minimal, and can be compensated for fairly well by backing off on the low speed compression adjuster.

You are right about the rebound on the rear being somewhat lax, but the curve itself needs to be changed; simply adjusting it stiffens both the part of the curve that's weak as well as that which isn't, so it's still out of balance, and can still benefit from beefing up the base of the rebound stack.

Nevertheless, you are also correct that the springs need to be changed.

• 917rider

Posted March 26, 2009 - 09:33 AM

i am 250 and do the same type of riding,i tried everything,then i changed my springs and love it i havent even messed with the stock setting after the change.

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 27, 2009 - 06:53 AM

Thanks for all the imput, 917 what did you end up changing the spring rates to?

• rdefonce

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:45 AM

I am about same weight as you, this is my first "modern" 450. Glad I stumbled on this thread since I didn't realize the issue with weak rebound damping. My springs seem in the ballpark, race sag is correct. I tried standard clicker settings, which was way too harsh on sharp-edged stuff.
Backing way off on compression damping (frt and rear) really helped, but I didn't mess with rebound damping. I will try the 7 clicks out on rebound to see if that helps. Cheers!

• poynedexter

Posted March 27, 2009 - 11:07 AM

i only noticed the problem or noticed "a" problem when riding on rough sandy tracks where the bike would drop deep into the stroke at medium speeds and want to reb up and out to the side mid straight. i think it was too soft on comp and too light on reb and it really knocked my confidence on these tracks where stability is vital.

on hard pack the shock seemed pretty good, but sand was always a problem for me anyway.

if you haven't checked out the smart performance services from dave j over on the suspension forum, then you really should. he's very helpful and can keep you on track for what works best.

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 28, 2009 - 06:05 AM

I know I need like a 5.7 or 5.8 shock spring. Do I really need to do the forks as well? To balance out the bike? And when I do replace the springs, do I go back to stock settings on all the clickers? Thanks!

• Kalar01

Posted March 28, 2009 - 07:35 AM

I had factory connection do a revalve for me they put a .46 in the forks and a 5.4 spring on the shock. I weigh 170 they sugjest 12 rebound and 12 comp for forks and 9 rebound and 12 comp 1 turn out on high speed comp.... maybe this will help???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 28, 2009 - 08:09 AM

I weigh in quite a bit more than you do, but thanks. How much did you pay to have factory connection do your suspension? Front and rear, I am looking into them since I will be racing the bike in the Vet 25+ class. Thanks, Derek. Power is pretty good on the bike, but I am still looking for more low end. Maybe 51T on the rear?

• rdefonce

Posted March 28, 2009 - 08:28 AM

If you still have stock pipe, swapping to aftermarket (Dr. D, FMF, etc) will give you more low end.

Poinedexter, thx for suspension recommendation I will read thru threads

• FiremanKay

Posted March 28, 2009 - 02:48 PM

okay, got to half jack this thred. What weight is the stock springs good for. Looking at maybe getting a 08 but dont want to get it if I have to re-spring it. I'm 190 (no gear).

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 28, 2009 - 03:51 PM

It all depends on how you ride the bike, if you ride it in your yard or are racing a supercross track. Thanks for the info, but im sure you are fine stock.

• FiremanKay

Posted March 28, 2009 - 04:15 PM

It all depends on how you ride the bike, if you ride it in your yard or are racing a supercross track. Thanks for the info, but im sure you are fine stock.

Most weekend riders/racers I know dont change springs for suppercross, just clickers. Thanks for the reply and all though. The reason I ask is because my 250 is topped at 180lb rider. Wanted to know what the 450 is topping at.

• qwert321

Posted March 28, 2009 - 05:05 PM

I was 205 lbs last year when i rode my 08 yz450 and really did not touch a thing and it was mint. I say try it first. set sag at 105mm rest stock and try it.

• rdefonce

Posted March 29, 2009 - 07:45 AM

Most weekend riders/racers I know dont change springs for suppercross, just clickers. Thanks for the reply and all though. The reason I ask is because my 250 is topped at 180lb rider. Wanted to know what the 450 is topping at.

I think bike would be just barely undersprung but probably still work good for you. I have '08 450, stock springs, i'm 165 w/o gear and it's slightly OVERsprung for me but works decently.
Backing way off on compression damping helped me a lot, but stock compression damping settings or maybe a click firmer may work good for you.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2009 - 07:52 PM

okay, got to half jack this thred. What weight is the stock springs good for. Looking at maybe getting a 08 but dont want to get it if I have to re-spring it. I'm 190 (no gear).

190 is the upper edge of the range on the YZ450. You should be fine with the stock springs.

• Kalar01

Posted March 30, 2009 - 07:29 AM

I weigh in quite a bit more than you do, but thanks. How much did you pay to have factory connection do your suspension? Front and rear, I am looking into them since I will be racing the bike in the Vet 25+ class. Thanks, Derek. Power is pretty good on the bike, but I am still looking for more low end. Maybe 51T on the rear?

It was just over $800 for springs on both ends and the revalve. I bought it used and it was already done I don't know if I would have payed for the new springs myself but the revalve is VERY nice.

• FiremanKay

Posted March 30, 2009 - 07:44 AM

Thanks for your help guys.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.