Photos of my "Tonopah 300" race........

13 replies to this topic
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 14, 2002 - 06:17 PM

Last weekend I race the "Best in the Desert" Tonopah 300. I placed 5th out of 6 in the Expert class. Not very good. The competition was really tough. I went down at mile 202 and Im sure that I bruised some ribs because I've had them bruise before. The bike ran perfect, I had zero problems with my WR. Sorry, no new products were tested this time around but the one product that im still in love with is my Dubach Hot-start, after a cartwheel the bike lit up right away. I can't wait for the E-start to make it even easier and faster.

Click Here

[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: Dan Lorenze ]

[ August 14, 2002: Message edited by: Dan Lorenze ]

• Fryboy

Posted August 14, 2002 - 06:33 PM

Hi Dan,
Thanks for sharing the pics. Dan.... You are the man.

So, you finished 5 out of 6 in the Expert Class? Damn.

Looks like you had a good time and represented the WR426F quite well.

Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you.

Continued success

Dave

• tk421

Posted August 14, 2002 - 06:39 PM

Hey Dan, great pictures Dude!

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: tk421 ]

• Steve_Lorenze_Jr

Posted August 15, 2002 - 09:43 PM

Hey Dan,

I heard that it takes a really great pit crew in order to run one of those BITD events. A crew that can use a dry-break, refill a Camelback, clean goggles, carry spare parts, navigate from pit-to-pit through the Nevada outback and be prepared for any emergency that might happen. Did you have a good crew? By the way, who took the pictures? He must be a stud because they turned out great.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 15, 2002 - 09:57 PM

Thanks Awsome pics.

You all coming to forest hill in Sept ?

• huskyrider

Posted August 15, 2002 - 12:43 PM

Man, Honda's are everywhere. Great bikes. I got beat by 4 of them!!!!

Dan,
I've always looked forward to reading your posts and looking at the pictures but have never responded because everyone else has, or I was pressed for time.
After reading the caption under your picture I wanted to let you know that not only do I think your the MAN for running the Solo class, but I also feel you have the right attitude.
This has never, in my 30 years of riding, been a sport of my bikes better than yours because its a different brand. It has, and will continue to be a sport where the rider means everything.
I think our sport needs more riders who give praise where due and are willing to lend another racer a hand when needed.
Keep up the good work.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 15, 2002 - 03:23 PM

Dave, Thanks for the kind words!!!!!! Maybe we could hook up in Kennedy Meadows sometime?!!!

Originally posted by Steve Lorenze, Jr.:
Hey Dan,

I heard that it takes a really great pit crew in order to run one of those BITD events. A crew that can use a dry-break, refill a Camelback, clean goggles, carry spare parts, navigate from pit-to-pit through the Nevada outback and be prepared for any emergency that might happen. Did you have a good crew? By the way, who took the pictures? He must be a stud because they turned out great.

Steve, The guys that I have pitting for me are the reason that I don't win every race. They're total clowns!! The best thing they did for me was to give me a cookie at one of the pits.... Man that was tasty. Good thing that the Nikon 5000 has an auto-mode so the pictures came out half way decent. All joking aside I know how lucky I am to have you guys. We had a good weekend... I think it's time to tell dad that we could drink more than a 6 pack of Coors light!!

TK, The XR650R is a great bike for big desert races, they're stable at speed with alot of power all over. As far as your question is concerned, I would have to say they get me in the staights, it's hard to beat the stability of those bikes in the desert. Even though my bike is super stable too.

EGO, I would love to join you guys up north. I have alot of weddings to attend to this summer and if I can get away I'll see you up there.

Huskyrider, Those are some nice words. Thank you!!!! Im glad you responded to my post.. I almost didn't put up my photo's, I figured that some of you would be getting tired of seeing the same old desert photos of me. Thanks brother!!

Dan :)

[ August 15, 2002: Message edited by: Dan Lorenze ]

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PMAUST

Posted August 15, 2002 - 06:27 PM

Dan, we never get tired of seeing your pics. Keep them coming! :)

• pedman

Posted August 16, 2002 - 09:29 PM

Dan,

Great job!!! Great pics and excellant commentary. Good Luck on your next ride

• mwespo

Posted August 16, 2002 - 09:55 PM

Hey Dan, this is Mike from the Nevada 1000. Good to hear that you survived another race. I am sitting here in complete envy of you, I wish I was there.
How was the terrain compared to the 1000? I figure it would be a little more technical being that it was only 300 miles and one day. Kind of like day 1 of the 1000.
Anyway, congratulations on your finish and I will let you know when I will be out there and maybe we can hook up and go riding.

• Fryboy

Posted August 16, 2002 - 01:05 PM

Hey Dan,

If you were inviting "me" :) down to Kennedy Meadows... then you my friend are on! I just received a packet of info for Kennedy. Man that place looks soooo freakin beautiful. I gotta ride it. I would be honored to ride with you.

We have to hook up sometime soon. I hope you are making it to the West Coast Thumpertalk Ride at Foresthill Sep 20 - 22.

I look forward to meeting and riding with you.

Dave

• x400racer

Posted August 17, 2002 - 07:22 PM

Me and two other friends raced tonopah also.We took second in the 4stroke exp. We were on a 520 and was a great race.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 19, 2002 - 06:01 PM

Originally posted by mwespo:

How was the terrain compared to the 1000? I figure it would be a little more technical being that it was only 300 miles and one day. Kind of like day 1 of the 1000.

I will be out there and maybe we can hook up and go riding.

Mike, Man it's great to hear from you!!! Before the race I talked to Casey's girlfriend and she said it was high speed.... I was hoping it would be like the 1000. But it wasn't quite as fun. Man you picked the right race to come out to. I had my hands full with a couple of Baja winners in my class. Anyhoo, if you plan on racing any events next year you've got to do the Vegas to Reno race (540mi). That race is just stupid!!!! Around mile 300 you feel like death warmed over. Then you have to finish the race at night all by yourself in the middle of nowhere. Good thing you bought the XR, it would be perfect for that race, The only reason that I finished the race is because my girlfriend was there and I wanted to look cool and couldn't quit. Talk to you later...Dan

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 19, 2002 - 06:05 PM

Originally posted by x400racer:
Me and two other friends raced tonopah also.We took second in the 4stroke exp. We were on a 520 and was a great race.

Jimmy? Rob? or Lendon??? You Bastards beat me by 31 minutes!!!!! :) Congratulations!!!! What sections did you ride? Are you going to Baja?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.