Buying an 03 WR 450

9 replies to this topic
  • chevy power

Posted March 25, 2009 - 08:02 PM

I own an xr 250 currently. The bike is a 92 and is actually in tip top shape, I want more bike preferably a crf250x. Right now I cant afford one, I sold an 84Honda Shadow, sold my xr100r so it is time to buy a new bike and have one. A guy I know personally has a wr450 he is trying to sell to me for 1100. It needs a starter and its been sitting for a few years so he says the carb needs cleaned. He is a die hard rider, he works at a local dealer, I have known him since he worked there but havent seen the bike. People have told me he takes good care of his stuff. He rides a newer Yamaha and this one sits.

Im not so worried about handling the bikes power but should I be? I just want some opinions on this. I can handle any work that needs done to the bike. Does 1100 seem fair even if it is in need of a topend?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 25, 2009 - 10:03 PM

I own an xr 250 currently. The bike is a 92 and is actually in tip top shape, I want more bike preferably a crf250x. Right now I cant afford one, I sold an 84Honda Shadow, sold my xr100r so it is time to buy a new bike and have one. A guy I know personally has a wr450 he is trying to sell to me for 1100. It needs a starter and its been sitting for a few years so he says the carb needs cleaned. He is a die hard rider, he works at a local dealer, I have known him since he worked there but havent seen the bike. People have told me he takes good care of his stuff. He rides a newer Yamaha and this one sits.

Im not so worried about handling the bikes power but should I be? I just want some opinions on this. I can handle any work that needs done to the bike. Does 1100 seem fair even if it is in need of a topend?

The '03 model had an issue with the starter, specifically a 'clutch' (?) in the starter system. It could go bad if you didn't retro-fit with the newer '04 part. That is probably what went wrong on this bike. You need him to get specific. If he is really a mechanic, he will know EXACTLY what is wrong, and he should tell you out of full disclosure. Get him to tell you what he would charge to fix it, and ask him why he abandoned the bike in the first place. If he can't answer either question, I would be very Leary of this transaction.

A dirty carb is nothing, and is not a real issue. A top end job? What makes you think it needs one?

The WR450 is a very good bike to move up to. Plenty of predictable power, smaller overall size (compared to other 450's), great handling. The CRF250X is a much revy-er motor, especially the first few years. Not friendly on hills or sand.

• DrBosa

Posted March 26, 2009 - 01:17 AM

A carb does not get dirty just by sitting for a few years, the dirt must have got there during riding. If the guy takes care of stuff, why is not the carb already cleaned? And about the starter motor, that one is easliy replaced, although it might cost you a little. Still, it does not guarantee you it will e-start since it might be a defective starter clutch, a usual problem for -03's (I have one myself). Is the electric starter missing altogether or whats the deal? It is easy to check if the starter motor itself is defective.

• VB_Racing

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:57 PM

If you can really pick up that bike for 1100 DO IT!!! If you don't want it, give me the guys number so I can come get it. They are great bikes, minor starter issue, but easily fixed.Other than that, great bikes.

And by the way, I own a CRF250x and a WR450, they are like comparing apples to oranges, they each have their attributes. I like them both.

Dave

• chevy power

Posted March 26, 2009 - 04:10 PM

I know very little about the bike right now, gas goes bad, and it gums from sitting, thats what I ment by dirty. He isnt a mechanic, he is a parts guy, he used to buy and sell bikes for another shop before he came to the one he works at now.
I figure that the starter clutch probably broke, I will be checking it out tomorow and see all of whats going on with it.
Story why it sat was he messed up his back really bad riding, got back into riding and wanted another bike and this one has been tucked away in the garage. He initially was asking 1800 and now is down to 1100. I figure I will try to offer him 1000 if I think its worth it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • chevy power

Posted March 30, 2009 - 08:17 AM

Bought the bike for 1000. Its rough, sending the radiator out to mylers today. Forks need rebuilt, plastics are shitty, starter doesnt work, the bike sat for 2 years but for 1000$ I think I can easilly get it up and in great running shape mechanically for what I can sell my 92 xr 250 for. Which is for sale if anyone is interested.

Right when I brought it home.
Posted Image
Posted Image

How it looks now.
Posted Image
Posted Image

• VB_Racing

Posted March 30, 2009 - 03:41 PM

If you stick another 1000 into it, you will still have alot of bike for the money, congrats!! Don't get too into the looks of the bike, make sure the mechanicals are right, and ride it like you stole it....because you did!!LOL

Dave

• chevy power

Posted March 30, 2009 - 09:46 PM

I am going all through it cleaning everything and inspecting everything it needs making a list and ordering some parts. I am hoping my other bike will sell locally so I can order all the parts I need at once. And Im glad that I paid what I did, I drained the oil and it didnt have any metal shavings and the filter didnt have any noticable ones either.

I need a radiator shroud the right side the really messed up from the damaged radiator. So I will probably end up buying the 120$ acrebis plastic kit.

• Apple

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:01 AM

I was in the same situation. I bought an 04 WR450 for $1100 with a bad motor a few months back. Put a new cylinder and piston in it, new valves, cam chain, rejettted the carb. Now the bike is ready to be ridden for a long time and gotta say it`s looking like the best bike I`ve had so far. Oh, do the free mods that you can find on this site if they`re not already done.

• chevy power

Posted April 01, 2009 - 03:44 PM

Radiator is on its way back, cost 70$ I shipped it out Monday. Looks like mylers is deffenitaly the place to go. Hopefully I can fire this bad boy up this weekend.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.