Can a YZ426 really jump timing?

4 replies to this topic
  • Travbisa

Posted March 25, 2009 - 05:18 PM

Can a YZ426 really jump timing? Or is this some myth in dirt bike world? Did this really happen to you, or did you hear this from a guy who knew a guy who's bike jumped timing?

I wonder how you can jump timing without tearing out the teeth on the crank or cams. Or tearing up the chain?

How did yours jump timing, did the tensioner go out? Was the chain loose? Tell me what happened so I can put an end to this myth.....

• pablo83

Posted March 25, 2009 - 06:09 PM

Can a YZ426 really jump timing? Or is this some myth in dirt bike world? Did this really happen to you, or did you hear this from a guy who knew a guy who's bike jumped timing?

I wonder how you can jump timing without tearing out the teeth on the crank or cams. Or tearing up the chain?

How did yours jump timing, did the tensioner go out? Was the chain loose? Tell me what happened so I can put an end to this myth.....

My WR426 jumped timing on the PO because he installed the tensioner wrong. I've looking inside a couple of these bikes and, even on an old, stretched chain, it is very tight. I seriously doubt a properly assembled engine would jump time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1rkcooper

Posted March 25, 2009 - 06:34 PM

Read this post and look at the pics.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=761576

• pablo83

Posted March 25, 2009 - 07:51 PM

Read this post and look at the pics.
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=761576

Wow, I stand corrected. I still don't thing the chain on a good engine could jump, but that guys cam is certainly mis-aligned.

• rufusz

Posted March 26, 2009 - 07:04 AM

He is not sure that the chain jumped, sure is that the gears rotated on the camshaft, probably due to seizing of the cams, probably due to lack of lubrication :thumbsup:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.