YZ250F / YZ450F Lower triple clamp difference

8 replies to this topic
  • osheen

Posted March 25, 2009 - 02:47 PM

Does anybody know what the difference is between the lower triple clamps on a 08 YZ250F and YZ450F ? The Yamaha part numbers are different. All of the other parts are the same. Pro Taper lists them as different too. I called Pro Taper and of course "the guy who would know" is not there this week. Applied lists the clamp sets as the same but they don't include a stem. The stem they list is different between 250 and 450. (I don't really want to call Applied and ask about my PT clamps).

I just acquired a set of Pro Taper clamps for a 08 250F and want to put them on my 08 450. With the OEM clamp and PT clamp side by side and can't measure any difference. The measurements of both stems are exactly the same. I bolted them on and they fit perfectly. I'm miffed.....

Anybody........ Anybody....... Bueller.........

• KJ790

Posted March 25, 2009 - 03:02 PM

The clamps are the same, the length of the stems is different.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2009 - 03:07 PM

Applied lists the clamp sets as the same but they don't include a stem. The stem they list is different between 250 and 450. (I don't really want to call Applied and ask about my PT clamps).

Applied clamps include a stem if you ask for one. The 450 prior to '08 had a stem that was ~10mm longer than the stem in a 250F. The '08 stem is 5mm shorter than the older ones.

• osheen

Posted March 25, 2009 - 08:09 PM

Yeah, I figured it had to be the stem length. I know Yamaha shortened the steering head in 08. I assumed (I hate using that word!) that the 250 has a shorter head as well. In any case, with the clamps side by side, all of the bearing and threaded areas are in the same position and the total length is the same. The radiuses, diameter of center (hour glass taper) and center hole are slightly different with the PT unit being much more stout. There are a few threads protruding out the top nut just like the OEM when installed.

I'll ask PT about it next week when the guy gets back.

Thanks guys..........

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted March 26, 2009 - 05:07 AM

Yeah, I figured it had to be the stem length. I know Yamaha shortened the steering head in 08. I assumed (I hate using that word!) that the 250 has a shorter head as well. In any case, with the clamps side by side, all of the bearing and threaded areas are in the same position and the total length is the same. The radiuses, diameter of center (hour glass taper) and center hole are slightly different with the PT unit being much more stout. There are a few threads protruding out the top nut just like the OEM when installed.

I'll ask PT about it next week when the guy gets back.

Thanks guys..........

The stems are different lengths, but only 5mm so you may be able to get away with it. Everything is the same in the threaded area, it is below that where the 450 stem is a little longer.

• osheen

Posted March 26, 2009 - 07:32 AM

That is what has me miffed. The stems' overall length is [I]exactly[I] the same. If there was a 5mm difference I should be able to see it. The length of the center area (between the bearing areas) is also [I]exactly[I] the same as well. It's like what I have is really a 450 clamp in the first place.......

• grayracer513

Posted March 26, 2009 - 08:31 AM

If you compare OEM stems, you'll see it. Aftermarket manufacturers may have decided that they could build a universal fit stem to cover the 5mm difference. The 10mm or so delta between the older bikes would be more difficult.

• smoke_lives

Posted April 11, 2009 - 07:58 AM

im trying to find out why 06-07 top clamps are different from 08 top clamps in aftermarket clamps (pt). do you guys think its because of the stem?

• KJ790

Posted April 11, 2009 - 06:34 PM

im trying to find out why 06-07 top clamps are different from 08 top clamps in aftermarket clamps (pt). do you guys think its because of the stem?

Yes, the clamps themselves are the same dimensionally. However, if you are buying a full set with a stem they will list them as different part numbers do to the different length stems included in the set.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.