99 yz400f brake issues

14 replies to this topic
  • brandonxwestbrook

Posted March 24, 2009 - 04:42 PM

just changed both front and back brake lines on the bike and now I cant get the break fluid into the line. never done break work before except bleeding them. anyone know what to do or where to look?

• mxdude1986

Posted March 24, 2009 - 05:23 PM

just changed both front and back brake lines on the bike and now I cant get the break fluid into the line. never done break work before except bleeding them. anyone know what to do or where to look?

What you mean u cant get break fluid into the line?

• BRY_426F_

Posted March 24, 2009 - 06:13 PM

have you tried backing out the allen wrench bolt that holds the line to the caliper? make sure its pieced together properly..

• brandonxwestbrook

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:52 PM

got the rear working great. the front break will not bleed properly and has no pressure to it. Tried to bleed it like normal and I get nothing. as far as I know everything is connected properly. is there a trick? is it just hard because its a new line? what do you mean backwards? could there be bigger issues than I think, worst case scenario?

• gbalias

Posted March 24, 2009 - 09:47 PM

remove the bleeder screw on the ft caliper, fill up the caliper with fluid, replace the bleeder screw, put the caliper back on, fill the reservior at the bars, then start the bleeding procedure.

the problem is that theres so little volume it takes forever to get the caliper full again.

this should fix your problem.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2009 - 05:59 AM

The trouble is that the top of the hose is still full of air, and the fluid is flowing around the bubble. You need to move the air up, not down.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...701#post4680701

• brandonxwestbrook

Posted March 25, 2009 - 04:50 PM

I tried everything you guys told me and every trick I could find and finally broke down and had it taken in. thanks anyway.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brandonxwestbrook

Posted March 25, 2009 - 08:28 PM

I found out that the master clinder is bad. anyone know where to find one cheaper than the stock replacement which is $200+?

• gbalias

Posted March 25, 2009 - 11:54 PM

MC and caliper:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...sQ5fAccessories

MC:

MC best deal here!!:

while youre at it, replace the rear MC with this with the money youre saving:

and youll never have the "cracked reservior" woes. i did this to my 400 and 426 and wont ever go back. youll need to cut the mounting tab off the subframe for easier filling of the reservior.

i still find it strange that it was fine, then you changed the lines, adn now the MC is bad. id get a second opinion or maybe not go to that 'shop' for 1st choice. unless theres some details about the brakes you havent mentioned.

hope this helps!

• brandonxwestbrook

Posted March 26, 2009 - 04:37 PM

they were not working fine before the change, hence the change.

• gbalias

Posted March 26, 2009 - 05:34 PM

ah. gotcha.

question..... how come you changed the lines then if the MC was bad? im confused a lil bit. unless you just started replacing parts for a process of elimination type thing.

either way, those parts i listed should get you back in the dirt

• brandonxwestbrook

Posted March 26, 2009 - 07:24 PM

the brake lines both had holes. i thought the master cylinder was fine but turns out it wasnt. going to pick up the new one tomorrow off the 2000 yz426 that you suggested.

• gbalias

Posted March 26, 2009 - 08:29 PM

sweet.

glad you got it sorted out!

id recommend the 450 rear MC too!

good luck, let us know how it turns out.

• brandonxwestbrook

Posted March 28, 2009 - 08:03 PM

Replaced the front and it works great. the rear works fine for now so I'm just going to leave it. thanks for the help.

• gbalias

Posted March 29, 2009 - 10:19 AM

awesome!

now get back to the dirt

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.