Wont Start!

11 replies to this topic
  • hornbent

Posted March 24, 2009 - 03:37 PM

Just wandering were to start. My bike ran for about 3 minutes and then stopped running and wont start back up. I replaced the spark plug(should I gap it?) there is plenty of compression. All of the wireing is good as far as I can see, no breaks or corrosion, kill switch is good to. What should I check next?

Thank you for all the help.

• keegan1014

Posted March 24, 2009 - 04:09 PM

try this dont know if you seen this one works for me
http://www.yamaha-mo....roke_vid_a.mpg

• big929

Posted March 24, 2009 - 04:14 PM

my reply from similar thread.
2001 426 did the exact same thing!

started it on friday, ran fine for 10mins.

drove 3 hours to go riding saturday, unloaded bike, got all my gear on, started the bike. Idled for 10 seconds with choke on, as soon as i turned the choke off it cut out. Which isnt highly unusual when its cold.

then kicked and kicked and pushed it down hills, then back up. Finally towed it with our 4x4, still wouldnt go. plug looked fine.

Its at my mechanics now, so if u figure it out pls let me know! I have a 150kilometre ride planned in 2 weeks and need this bike going!

thanks

• hornbent

Posted March 24, 2009 - 04:38 PM

same thing happened to me almost to the T. only drove 45 min though. Sucks man. I will let you know if I fugure it out

• hornbent

Posted March 24, 2009 - 04:39 PM

thanks for the response but the link doesent work. any other way to see it?

• yzf450jack

Posted March 24, 2009 - 06:08 PM

[quote name='hornbent']Just wandering were to start. My bike ran for about 3 minutes and then stopped running and wont start back up. I replaced the spark plug(should I gap it?) there is plenty of compression. All of the wireing is good as far as I can see, no breaks or corrosion, kill switch is good to. What should I check next?

Thank you for all the help

Is it getting gas ?
Is it getting spark ?
Did you do anything to the bike prior to starting and running for 3 min.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hornbent

Posted March 24, 2009 - 06:20 PM

I am going to check out the gas again but I know that it is getting a spark. What should I do if it is getting gas. Thanks

• SirFallsAlot

Posted March 24, 2009 - 06:25 PM

Now Im no expert but, happened to my 2stroke two years ago. Was getting fuel and spark but still wouldnt run. We tried a different cdi off another bike still wouldnt start. Turned out to be my stator.

• casey_invegas

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:10 PM

I have an 06 bent valves so when i fixed it have been trying to start it for a week now, getting spark, fuel, timing is perfect. tried dragging it with a quad still wont start. Any thoughts. Have brand new cylinder, rings, and also intake valves. Valve clearence is also correct.

• mitchicle

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:49 PM

Just wandering were to start. My bike ran for about 3 minutes and then stopped running and wont start back up. I replaced the spark plug(should I gap it?) there is plenty of compression. All of the wireing is good as far as I can see, no breaks or corrosion, kill switch is good to. What should I check next?

Thank you for all the help.

Do you have a manual? OHM test your coil, ignition, and kill switch. If any are out of parameters, thats where your problems lies.

• dstockracer

Posted March 24, 2009 - 09:16 PM

I changed my spark plug and then had no spark- Prior, washed (regular hose pressure) the 04 YZ450F, didn't start it after washing and put it away for a week. Changed spark plug for the 1st time on my used YZ and had no spark. Checked all elect components, within manual parameters. Finally took chrome cleaner to the CDI and all electrical contacts. Everything looked good except for one minor oxidized CDI tab to the red wire. Final cleaning with the electrical contact cleaner. Hooked up all electrical connections and I had SPARK.

• hornbent

Posted March 27, 2009 - 07:39 PM

so im not to sure what I did but, I got it running. I took off the cover to my fly wheel and kleen some stuff that did not even look like it need to be cleaned. There were a few metal fileings that I saw but nothing to bad I dont think. I put it all back together and it fired right up and it hasent quit. Kind of wierd I guess but maybe the fileings were creating a bad ground. Thanks for the help guys see ya on the trail.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.