Clutch

7 replies to this topic
  • DBMX 925

Posted March 24, 2009 - 01:05 PM

2006 YZ450 with 80 hrs. I keep burning up clutches. I replaced the basket and clutch boss, new plates, fiber and steel, 10 hours ago all OEM. The clutch is gone. I use Mobil 1 synthetic racing oil. If the pressure plate is worn, would that cause premature failure? Anyone else have any issues? Thanks in advance.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 01:20 PM

If the pressure plate is worn, would that cause premature failure?

Not likely that it could wear enough to be a problem. The "friction" surface of it is not scored or anything, is it?

You did not mention springs. They're cheap, and should always be replaced.

Neither my son or I have had any issues whatever with the Yamaha clutch. It's not your oil either, as I used to run the same stuff. We don't fan the clutch, or all that other two-stroke stuff, but we're prett tough on the clutch in the tight sections sometimes.

• Michael Cahill

Posted March 24, 2009 - 07:12 PM

You did not mention springs. They're cheap, and should always be replaced.

I cooked my clutch pretty good one day in the woods, pulled out the fairly new clutch, and the clutch itself was still fine.
put in some new springs (OEM) and she was good as new. :thumbsup:

i guess the heat messed with the springs and made them really weak.

i am gunna replace the whole clutch soon, but at the time it was still pretty fresh, so i tried the next cheapest option :usa:

• 642MX

Posted March 24, 2009 - 07:21 PM

The springs for sure need replaced....

Now, I had a friend with a CRF250 that kept having clutch troubles. He could burn one up in 10 laps (A rider, clutch abuser). The actual problem was a warped pressure plate. It wouldn't warp until it got hot and then the clutch would spin. Something to check I guess....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DBMX 925

Posted March 25, 2009 - 12:52 AM

Not likely that it could wear enough to be a problem. The "friction" surface of it is not scored or anything, is it?

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]You did not mention springs. They're cheap, and should always be replaced.
[/COLOR]
Neither my son or I have had any issues whatever with the Yamaha clutch. It's not your oil either, as I used to run the same stuff. We don't fan the clutch, or all that other two-stroke stuff, but we're prett tough on the clutch in the tight sections sometimes.

Yes Gray, I changed the springs too. Maybe I ride a bit 2 strokey........:thumbsup: There are some grooves in the plate, but look machined, if it's supposed to be flat, there is wear.

I am going to order a GYTR heavy duty clutch today, maybe I'll get more life from that. OEM pressure plate is only 31 bucks, maybe I'll just order 1 up. Maybe I should just get a Rekluse and pull the darn clutch lever off. One way to change an old habit..........

• MX926

Posted March 25, 2009 - 04:30 AM

Make sure your clutch cable has some slop in it at the lever. Many people tend to run little or no slop which can cause the clutch to wear. Changing the pressure plate would be a good move also.

• rookie23

Posted March 25, 2009 - 04:37 AM

yes check and make sure your clutch cable is not over adjusted and also make sure that you are not way over geared, if you are riding in the woods and catch yourself slipping the clutch to kinda slow down a little to get arond something or over something maybe you should gear down a tooth in the front

• DBMX 925

Posted March 25, 2009 - 05:00 AM

Well, there was play, you know the nickel thing, all gone now, just like the clutch......................................keep those ideas coming, sooner or later we'll figure it out. Thanks, TT ers

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.