YZ426 2002 recommendations for maintenance

3 replies to this topic
  • lukerice1983

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:42 AM

Hi again. After having a bit of a panic moment recently (discussed in last post) I think its about time to treat my bike to a service. I bought it in november and since then i have changed the oil twice, the air filter once, put on some pro taper fat bars, changed front/back sprockets (with o ring chain), replaced discs/pads all round and put on some new tyres. As i don't know how often (if at all) the previous owner has serviced the engine i think it could do with a looking at. I dont know very much about engines so don't know where to look first. I've bought a clymer manual and it baffles me on where to start and whats actually worth looking at. Big question i know but any ideas anyone???????? :thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 12:08 PM

Start by stepping up your air filter maintenance. You should clean and re-oil it every ride day in a dusty environment or every other in any case.

Oil changes should be done each third ride IF you are using an oil with a proven ability to retain its viscosity when used in a gearbox. If you're using a low cost automotive oil, this attribute is more than likely missing, and you should change it every ride day, two hours max, until you can have a used sample tested. Never do an oil change without putting a clean filter back in. (I use a Scotts, so that costs nothing extra to do).

Beyond that, check the valve clearance once a month, and focus your maintenance energies on the chassis (steering head, swing arm, linkage, chain, tires)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • keegan1014

Posted March 24, 2009 - 12:32 PM

good imfo.

• lukerice1983

Posted March 24, 2009 - 12:34 PM

I am thinking about having my frame sprayed as its the tattiest looking part of the bike, so i was intending on changing steering/swinging arm etc bearings then. They seem to be in good condition but i think i would regret not doing them. Once again thankyou grayracer513 for your wisdom

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.