metal oil filter

4 replies to this topic
  • geoffro

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:10 AM

I just purchased a '05 YZ450(sold 05 WR450) and the owner tells me it has a metal oil filter that can be cleaned.I did searches and few guys use the metal one.My WR used paper/genuine filter and I stuck to that, also didn't do one valve adjustment in 3 years.I did find in the searches I did a few "for" and a few "against".Anyone use it for a few years with no reliability issues?

• spark250

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:15 AM

The oil filters work great.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:18 AM

If the metal mesh appear to be bronze (vaguely gold in color), discard it. That would be an old 426 OEM type, and they don't filter very well.

If it appears to be stainless, it may be a Scotts, which is the original stainless mesh oil filter, and still the best of them. I use Scotts oil filters exclusively.

Read:

http://www.thumperta...297#post4676297

• geoffro

Posted March 24, 2009 - 10:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. Gee grayracer, very informative info on filters.
I am an auto mechanic and was hoping for a technical answer and you have made my wish come true! Thanks.I will use the metal one with confidence(just still need to check if not the bronze one you spoke of).

• cumminsklx650

Posted March 26, 2009 - 09:42 AM

I personally can vouch for the Scotts filter. On my previous bike, I chewed up 3rd and 4th gear ice racing. Massive amounts of metal came off the gears and the Scotts filter stopped everything that could cause damage. When I took it apart, the filter was about 1/2 plugged but the rest of the motor was fine. Best $70.00 I've spent in a long time (well, that and my Maxbrake proportional brake controller on my truck, but thats a different story).

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.