Pro Taper

12 replies to this topic
  • eazrider

Posted March 24, 2009 - 09:26 AM

Can anyone tell me what bend Pro-Taper bars Yamaha used on the 2006 YZ 450?

• holker1

Posted March 24, 2009 - 09:48 AM

I believe it was the henry/reed bend.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:12 AM

I believe it was the henry/reed bend.

Nope, it was a proprietary bend marked as XC90. It has a rise of about 74mm for comparison. Way too low.

• Smokeslider

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:32 AM

Crappy Bend?

Hardly know anyone who actually uses the stock bend

• 33 BLUE

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:33 AM

Hey Gray,
I am running the Windam(protaper) bars on my 06. I was noticing how flat Stewarts and Hill's bars are, compared to mine. I know they are running the T2 TAG bars now. I would like to keep the height, but maybe get a flatter bar. What is your opinion? I was also thinking of getting a taller seat. My goal was trying different postions. I am having problems with my hands going numb.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 12:01 PM

Flat? They way I have the Windham's on my bike set up, they are absolutely flat across the top when viewed from either the front or the side. I'm very fond of the Windham bend, because it is not only fairly tall, it puts my hands farther forward, too.

Hand numbness/tingling is akin to arm pump, in that it is caused by excessive periods of muscle tension interspersed with insufficient periods of muscle relaxation. Concentrate on maximizing the amount of time you relax your arms and hands, and this will help a great deal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jimbo uk

Posted March 24, 2009 - 12:42 PM

i also have windham bends on my 09 i love them i use to have them rolled forward but now i find having them rolled back alittle bit help a lot with handleing and my poisition as i am 6,4 and also suffer from hand pains

• RCannon

Posted March 24, 2009 - 04:45 PM

One bend that might interest you is the KTM/Suzuki bend. The shape is very similar to the 2006 yzf450 oem bend, but they are much higher. Very little pullback compared to the other bends.

• BRY_426F_

Posted March 24, 2009 - 06:22 PM

I don't race MX and track times and low positions arent important to me as i do street/trail riding. I use the Pastrana FMX bend. they rise 4 inches.. they are SO comfortable.. and my hands have yet to go numb yet. I love em.

• 33 BLUE

Posted March 24, 2009 - 09:57 PM

I really want thank everyone for your opinions. I might try that KTM/Suzuki bend if indeed has less pullback. Thats what I was asking ( sorry if I didn't make it clear, by saying flat) and I will also try to bring my bars back too.

Has anyone tried this with a tall seat? I am 5'10. I heard of one person with a set up like this and said they had more control. Any second opinions?

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2009 - 06:06 AM

The Windham is 99 high with only 54 mm pullback. Most bars have around 56, and the CR bends are around 59.

The Suz/KTM bend does in fact have very little pullback at 47mm, but it's only 92 high, about like the Henry bend, and I don't think that you'll like that part of it.

• 33 BLUE

Posted March 25, 2009 - 06:37 AM

Damn Grey, You are full of alot of information.Lol. Maybe I will just roll mine back a bit. How about that seat height? Thanks in advance for all your advise.

• grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2009 - 07:39 AM

Raising the seat would have the effect of lowering the bar position relative to the rider while seated, without changing the position while standing. It also makes it easier to rise from the saddle, particularly wen tired, and some really like it. I don't know that it would affect your issue with your hands, though.

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.