01' yz426f revving high

4 replies to this topic
  • Burrap

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:14 AM

i have an 01 yz426f and when i ride it for a little while(enough for it to warm up) i pull in the clutch and it rev's real high for maybe 15 seconds or untill i turn the idle down. after the 15 seconds or so it drops back down to idle. anyone know whats up with this. if i turn the idle down any farther it will stall.

• rookie23

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:25 AM

most likely you are going to be looking for an air leak, start by looking at where the carb bolts on, it may be leaking there, or anywhere in that area is a real good place to start. most importantly is if it is an air leak you need to fix it asap because you may not notice it but it is probably running real lean also which can tear up a lot of other stuff, piston, valves, ect.

get that sucker fixed and lets ride !!!:thumbsup:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:27 AM

most likely you are going to be looking for an air leak, start by looking at where the carb bolts on, it may be leaking there, or anywhere in that area is a real good place to start. most importantly is if it is an air leak you need to fix it asap because you may not notice it but it is probably running real lean also which can tear up a lot of other stuff, piston, valves, ect.

get that sucker fixed and lets ride !!!:thumbsup:

I was thinking the same thing. Hanging idle is the term used for this. It could be jetting or air leaks as stated above. Check all boots and joints around carb and airbox.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:35 AM

It could also be nothing more than the pilot screw in need of adjustment, too. See what happens when you back the mixture screw out a half turn.

On the other hand, the valve clearances may be too tight on the intake side.

• Burrap

Posted March 24, 2009 - 03:37 PM

thanks alot, it will be a little while till i get to try it cause im changing the oil and sparkplug and other stuff.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.