Need some suggestions on a 426

6 replies to this topic
  • dmoney2023

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:39 PM

Took the ole' 426 out and it started running weird and it died on me. Started popping, miss-firing, and then wouldn't run at all. Got it towed back to the cars and on the way back I could almost start it for a minute but then it would quickly die.

I brought it into the shop and told them I didn't want to spend a grand fixing up a bike worth about as much. They went over the bike for a couple hours and said they have no clue what is wrong without taking the engine apart. So it's not the carb or any of those easier things to figure out.

I'm thinking about parting it out, but I'm tempted to take a crack at replacing the coil, or messing with some of the electrical components on the bike as it almost seems like it simply gets too hot and won't run any longer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:58 PM

Took the ole' 426 out and it started running weird and it died on me. Started popping, miss-firing, and then wouldn't run at all. Got it towed back to the cars and on the way back I could almost start it for a minute but then it would quickly die.

I brought it into the shop and told them I didn't want to spend a grand fixing up a bike worth about as much. They went over the bike for a couple hours and said they have no clue what is wrong without taking the engine apart. So it's not the carb or any of those easier things to figure out.

I'm thinking about parting it out, but I'm tempted to take a crack at replacing the coil, or messing with some of the electrical components on the bike as it almost seems like it simply gets too hot and won't run any longer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

the first thing I would do is check your cam timing and make sure that the chain didnt jump a tooth. This is often an overlooked problem, and symptoms are hard starting, backfire when kicking and such. Its easy to do and wont take but an hour.

• Birdy426

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:08 PM

Yup, check the easy things first...Is the bike getign spark? Does it have compression? Is cam timing correct? Are there any loose/corroded connectors? Clean the carb. Is the air filter clean? just cuz the shop dorked around with it for a couple of hours doesn't mean they checked the easy or even bvious stuff, especially if you told them you didn't want to spend a lot...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 426 NOOB

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:13 PM

Yup, check the easy things first...Is the bike getign spark? Does it have compression? Is cam timing correct? Are there any loose/corroded connectors? Clean the carb. Is the air filter clean? just cuz the shop dorked around with it for a couple of hours doesn't mean they checked the easy or even bvious stuff, especially if you told them you didn't want to spend a lot...

haha yep the shop just glanced at it real quick because you told them that, definitely do as Birdy said as well.

• honyam83

Posted March 24, 2009 - 04:41 PM

My dads 426 did about the same thing for a while. He took it to a shop and they replaced the needle and seat, probably cleaned the carb as well.I don't know if this applies to your problem but it could. Good luck

• 2001YZF426Rider

Posted March 24, 2009 - 05:55 PM

This summer my bike was running fine all day, took it to work in the afternoon, and a few hours later it wouldnt start, it would sputter and then not fire, couldnt get it to run. Couldnt bump start it.. Got it finally bump started, but then when i shut it off it wouldnt start again. Turned out the stator wires werent fully connecting.

• dmoney2023

Posted March 24, 2009 - 06:09 PM

Thanks guys. I'm about to pull it out and get to work. Wish me luck.:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.