Intake cam question

6 replies to this topic
  • thmlrmg

Posted March 23, 2009 - 05:55 PM

Hey guys, I am rebuilding my bike after dropping a intake valve and I was wondering if you can "clean" up an intake cam. My middle lobe has a couple scuff marks in it from the valve damage. Can this be taken out by a machine shop or do I need a new one. I can feel it is unsmooth but not too bad. Should I post a pic to help?

• pablo83

Posted March 23, 2009 - 08:59 PM

Hey guys, I am rebuilding my bike after dropping a intake valve and I was wondering if you can "clean" up an intake cam. My middle lobe has a couple scuff marks in it from the valve damage. Can this be taken out by a machine shop or do I need a new one. I can feel it is unsmooth but not too bad. Should I post a pic to help?

A machine shop is going to tell you to get a new one, and that's probably the best way to go. The proper way to fix it would be to weld it up, machine it down, and hard-surface it, which would cost many times the price of a new one.

If the scratches are very shallow you can try to fix it yourself. Get some emery cloth (fancy sandpaper) at the auto parts store and work the scratches out by hand. If it will take more than a couple one-thousanths to get the scratches out it'd be best to get a new cam.

• Birdy426

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:38 PM

Yup, replacement is best. Do you have a 400, 426, or 450? If it's a 400 or 426, you might be able to buy a used cam from someoen who has installed hotcams...or if you really want to wake the bike up, go for some hotcams of your own...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Billua

Posted March 24, 2009 - 06:45 AM

That would be me...

I have the stock cams off a slightly used 01 WR 426 that are in excellent condition.

If you want them I will sell them to you for the cost of the FEDEX, about 15 bucks and 25 bucks for the pair..

• pablo83

Posted March 24, 2009 - 09:10 AM

That would be me...

I have the stock cams off a slightly used 01 WR 426 that are in excellent condition.

If you want them I will sell them to you for the cost of the FEDEX, about 15 bucks and 25 bucks for the pair..

well there you go, problem solved. This internet thing really works out some times.

• thmlrmg

Posted March 24, 2009 - 02:17 PM

That would be me...

Man, I really do appreciate your offer, but I already bought a new one.

• Billua

Posted March 24, 2009 - 05:10 PM

Cool, Hot Cam?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.