06 YZ450f triple clamp

16 replies to this topic
  • wellsy1

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:30 AM

Hey guys. I was riding some of the narlyest trails i've ever been on yesterday. There is about 25 miles of these trails and they are crazy. My 06 450 has the stock triple clamps on it. There was a huge rut pretty much all the way through the trails, and my bike did not want to turn at all. It did pretty good but I would like to be in a little bit more control. My question is would new triple clamps, with a differant offset help me with bush riding in those tight trails? And how do you now what offset to buy. Do you go by your hight, weight, what? I'm 5'10 155lbs. Thanks guys, I just dont want to buy the wrong ones. Warren

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:08 PM

Hey guys. I was riding some of the narlyest trails i've ever been on yesterday. There is about 25 miles of these trails and they are crazy. My 06 450 has the stock triple clamps on it. There was a huge rut pretty much all the way through the trails, and my bike did not want to turn at all. It did pretty good but I would like to be in a little bit more control. My question is would new triple clamps, with a differant offset help me with bush riding in those tight trails? And how do you now what offset to buy. Do you go by your hight, weight, what? I'm 5'10 155lbs. Thanks guys, I just dont want to buy the wrong ones. Warren

I have pro taper accutrax and it makes it nice because you can adjust the offset forward and backward many mm. They are around the same price as solid ones too. This way you can experiment and see what you like best

• wellsy1

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:47 PM

thanks noob I will look in to those. Sounds like what i'm looking for.

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:58 PM

thanks noob I will look in to those. Sounds like what i'm looking for.

no problem

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2009 - 07:53 PM

I have pro taper accutrax and it makes it nice because you can adjust the offset forward and backward many mm. They are around the same price as solid ones too. This way you can experiment and see what you like best

The Accutrax allows the adjustment of the handlebar position, not the fork offset.

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 23, 2009 - 08:46 PM

whoops, I misunderstood the question. I thought he wanted to change the "clamp" as in handlebar clamp offset. I did'nt catch the fork part.

• Slinkyman16

Posted March 23, 2009 - 10:39 PM

it really is trial and error on the clamps.. I myself like the pc 22.5 mm offset clamps. others like the applied 24mm(most common)..

but before u drop the coin on clamps.. Have u set up the suspension? adjusted the sag? drop the forks 5mm in the clamps and then give it a try.. u might like it this way without dropping 400+ on a set of clamps.

• wellsy1

Posted March 24, 2009 - 10:09 AM

I have tried dropping 5mm on the forks, and tried to mess with the sag. I read the "how to set your sag" and found that my spring rates, and my weight dont match up(stock spring-i'm 155lbs). So I think that i have it set up the best i can for now. So would it be in my best intrest to maybe match up the proper springs first, before i buy clamps? Or can I use the stock springs still just up my sag a different way? Then determin if I need clamps?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jschwalbe

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:14 AM

I'd suggest focussing on your suspension before picking up any new clamps - the YZ will definitely turn better when the SAG has been set properly...

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:25 AM

I'd suggest focussing on your suspension before picking up any new clamps - the YZ will definitely turn better when the SAG has been set properly...

I agree. The correct spring rates are essential to every other aspect of your suspension setup.

• wellsy1

Posted March 24, 2009 - 02:40 PM

So what I am guessing is that I do need the proper springs to set the sag correctly? No other way around that for the time being with the stock spring?

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 03:14 PM

No work arounds. What do you weigh.

• wellsy1

Posted March 24, 2009 - 03:18 PM

I am 155lbs 5'10.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 03:28 PM

And when you attempt to set your sag at 100mm,you end up with more than 25mm of free sag, I'm guessing, right?

• wellsy1

Posted March 24, 2009 - 04:41 PM

Yes sir I do.

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 07:51 PM

Look up the recommended spring rates for your weight at Race Tech and MX-Tech, and start with that. Part of your problem is more than likely that your forks don't settle enough as you enter a turn, keeping your head angle too shallow. Respringing will help a lot.

• wellsy1

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:21 PM

Thank you Grey. Very helpful. I need two sizes smaller than stock.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.