Skidplate Frame Nut came off

4 replies to this topic
  • WGP

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:18 AM

So the nut that is welded into the tab that is welded onto the frame came loose.
So now, when mounting the skidplate there is no way to hold the nut as you tighten:banghead:

I tried to JB weld on a nut but in only lasts a couple on and offs of the skidplate then breaks free:banghead:

Any ideas? Is there something stronger than JB weld?
Is it not holding because the tab is Aluminum and the nut steel?

• keith_karidis

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:30 AM

Use a Riv-Nut! It is a threaded insert that you install with a special rivet gun or tool. Snap-On and Mac sell them. You might try Matco, Grainger, McMaster-Carr, Copper State Bolts, and Fastenal to see if they carry them.

I have used this method many times.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2009 - 10:20 AM

A simpler solution is a "clip nut":

Posted Image Posted Image

Loc-Tite 245 epoxy (auto parts stores) is both stronger and faster than JB, but I doubt it will do the job here.

• RobYZ426

Posted March 23, 2009 - 01:15 PM

If you can get a wrench on the nut side, I would just use a bolt and self-locking nut.

• husqy360

Posted March 23, 2009 - 05:13 PM

same thing happand to me ill try grays option.
thx for the post

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.