WR on the track?

13 replies to this topic
  • YZeezee

Posted August 13, 2002 - 10:24 AM

How many of you guys (or girls) take your WR's to the mx track and how do you like it? I've got a YZF400 right now but would really like to be able to get it street legal and want to upgrade soon. The question is WR or YZ??? I'm leaning WR and modifying it to act close to a YZ... I don't race, but like jumping and the power the YZ has at the track right now. Anyone regret getting the WR in place of YZ or vise versa???
Thanks

• cnacc

Posted August 13, 2002 - 11:15 AM

I ride my 2001 WR at tracks quite often and I love it. I did all of the free mods and YZ timming to my bike and it has more than enough power. My riding budy has a 2001 CR250 and my bike stays right with his. The WR turns a little slower but pulls better in the streights. I also run as little gas as possible at the track, saves a little weight and it is easy to refill. I havent had the privlage of riding a YZ so i can not compare.

• YAMAKAZE

Posted August 13, 2002 - 11:37 AM

I have always loved my WR (and would not trade it) But my YZ is an animal, it is so much lighter and to me much more fun to ride. Mabe when I get a YZ Tank and Seat I'll go back to my WR.

Bonzai :)

• BigDesto

Posted August 13, 2002 - 11:41 AM

DURING THE SUMMER I HIT THE TRACKS BECAUSE THEIR PREPED AND WATERED,TO DUSTY OUT IN THE DESERT. I'VE GOT ALL YZ STUFF ON IT,THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY,IS YOU MIGHT WANT TO GEAR IT TO HAVE A LITTLE BIT MORE POWER COMING OUT OF TURNS,I'M STILL RUNNING STOCK SPROCKETS,THATS ABOUT IT! STIFFEN UP THE SUSPENSION(SPRINGS-REVALVE)AND YOUR SET. :)

• omnivortex

Posted August 13, 2002 - 03:46 PM

It feels ok until you ride a mx bike around a few times..I rode a buddies 250f after riding my WR all year and there was a huge difference..granted the 250f is lighter than the 400, but there is still a big difference.

thats why I am getting another MX bike..

• YZeezee

Posted August 14, 2002 - 05:12 AM

WEll that just made my decision that much tougher-maybe I better check into what's required to make the YZ legal on the street-I'd hate to lose what I already have on the track, just so it's legal on the street...

• Merfman

Posted August 14, 2002 - 05:24 AM

All that's required is an affadavit that says it's street legal. Get one from your local dealer.

My YZ is "street legal". I added a light and tailight/plate holder for those times when it needs to be legal. Colorado is pretty lenient when it comes to street legal dirt bikes.

Now, if you're riding to and from work everyday, you might have a little different need. :)

Merf

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CHris_PArks

Posted August 14, 2002 - 05:26 AM

i have to agree on the 250F. i rode my 2000 wr 400 al over the place then road a 250 f. man that ting is cool. i would like to ride one set up by a taller rider. my buddy was short and had really short bars on it. i am 6,3 and with my really tall bars and lowered pegs i could still ride my bike faster.

parx

• YZeezee

Posted August 14, 2002 - 05:28 AM

Merf-I think that would be the perfect setup for me-was it big $$$ getting a lighting coil, etc for the YZ?

• Merfman

Posted August 14, 2002 - 06:14 AM

YZezee.. check your PM's..

Merf

• pedman

Posted August 16, 2002 - 09:35 PM

Had my WR426 on the track for the first time and I hadn't been on the track for 20+ years. Beat the puss out of me, but that was a fun ride. :D

I like the desert best :) , but I could do the track again it was fun. Like my friends say 'I never knew you could fly a locomotive like that' :D

• MXH

Posted August 17, 2002 - 10:39 AM

I had the suspension revalved on my Y2K WR400 to suit MX riding, changed to YZ timing and now it feels just the same as my mates YZ. Only difference is a bit extra weight (not that I can notice it but it must be there) and the 18" rear.
I'm sure you can get rid of a lot of the weight (eg coolant reservoir) if you wanted to.

Mike

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted August 18, 2002 - 08:56 AM

Yzeezee, I just rode the track up at Mammoth with my WR. I had a great time but I think I would've had a better time on an MX bike. For tracks I feel the the WR is too heavy to really get going good. And the gear ratios are too funky also (for me). I don't have any regrets by not owning the YZ model because I ride desert only. I would love to own both. The 03's models are going to be more different than ever. Im well aware that a good rider can do really well on any bike he rides. I would much rather have a 250 two stroke on a track. They are light and quick. Just my opinion.

Dan

• Molar_Mechanic_55

Posted August 18, 2002 - 03:31 PM

I agree with Dan L. I had a 99 WR which was made street legal. It was good but had performance problems. If it was set up for street, then it sucked on dirt and if set up for dirt, it sucked on street. So I made it in to a WR-YZ. YZ timing, carb mods, lights/wires excised, Big
Gun pipe, gearing 52/14, YZ plastics/tank/seat and some other small changes for MX/Enduro. It was a good bike but as you race more and get some speed, the bike starts to feel like a non-MXer. It was a great wheelie and flat track bike. Gear spacing, suspension and handling are ok but not for MX nut. I now own a '02 YZ250 for MX and quite happy with it. "I'm" the limiting factor now. WR is a great all around bike but for MX nuts, get a YZ or YZF

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.