Rear Axle Diameter

9 replies to this topic
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted March 23, 2009 - 05:10 AM

Hello. Anyone know the rear axle diameter for a 2004 WR450f? I'm trying to figure out what Inner Diameter my spacer needs to be. If anyone knows this please let me know. I'm thinking 20mm or 21mm but I have no way to verify this.

Thanks,
mike

• KJ790

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:14 AM

The rear axle is 22mm.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:17 AM

Thank you very much. Now I just need to find someone who makes a 22mm spacer/washer or something.

• KJ790

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:18 AM

Thank you very much. Now I just need to find someone who makes a 22mm spacer/washer or something.

What are you trying to do?

• Mrmonk7663

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:45 AM

Im bolting up a rim from an RS250 to my WR450. It has been machined and has adapter plates. I have mocked the rim up and it clears, brakes fit, sprocket fits, etc. The problem is my wheel spacers. The stock ones aren't working. On the sprocket side the spacer does not contact the bearing and on the brake side the spacer wont fit now as it is too wide. I tried using washers but when I tightened the wheel this made it hard to turn and the bearings were binding. I was just told that a washer will not work, only a spacer that rides on the correct portion of the bearing surface will work or something like that. So basically I need a stock spacer but in a custom size.Here is a link to the rims. Also, please note. The rear rim (what we are working on now) if you notice that one side of the rim the bearing/seals sit recessed a bit (sprocket side) and the other it is pretty much flush. The sprocket side is where the stock spacer is not quite long enough to contact the bearing and the brake side that is flush I don't have enough room AT ALL to install the stock spacer. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted March 23, 2009 - 01:12 PM

Im bolting up a rim from an RS250 to my WR450. It has been machined and has adapter plates. I have mocked the rim up and it clears, brakes fit, sprocket fits, etc. The problem is my wheel spacers. The stock ones aren't working. On the sprocket side the spacer does not contact the bearing and on the brake side the spacer wont fit now as it is too wide. I tried using washers but when I tightened the wheel this made it hard to turn and the bearings were binding. I was just told that a washer will not work, only a spacer that rides on the correct portion of the bearing surface will work or something like that. So basically I need a stock spacer but in a custom size.Here is a link to the rims. Also, please note. The rear rim (what we are working on now) if you notice that one side of the rim the bearing/seals sit recessed a bit (sprocket side) and the other it is pretty much flush. The sprocket side is where the stock spacer is not quite long enough to contact the bearing and the brake side that is flush I don't have enough room AT ALL to install the stock spacer. I hope this makes sense. Thanks.

You didn't post a link, so I can't see exactly what you are dealing with. I will say that as far as I can tell, custom spacers are the only way to go. Make sure the bearings in the hub have a spacer between the inner races to space them apart appropriately, otherwise when you tighten the axle the bearings will bind and the wheel will not spin. Use spacers on either side of the bearings with an inside diameter a tad larger than the axle diameter, and an outside diameter that matches the grease seals used on the hub (if applicable) to keep dirt out of the bearings.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted March 23, 2009 - 02:17 PM

Sorry, here is the link http://www.supermoto...ead.php?t=76896 I bolted up the rim without the brake bracket...This allowed me to use the stock spacers...obviously I'm not gonna run without a rear brake but I wanted to see if all was well as far as binding. There is an inner bearing spacer like you say. Anyway, I torqued the axle nut and the wheel spun just fine...so the problem is definitely a spacer issue. I just have to figure out how to get these spacers. On the brake side I only need around a 1/8" spacer and on the sprocket side I need one a little longer than stock...about 1/8" longer. This would allow me to space out the rim and install the brake bracket...now I just have to source the spacer. I tried emachineshop and made a CAD drawing but for what is essentially WASHER size spacer they told me $236...a flippin joke. Any ideas? I'm on the border by mexico and there aren't really any machine shops around. I ordered some YZ426 spacers as that is what the original owner said he used. Worst comes to worst I will have those spacers modified and trimmed accordingly...This will guarantee I have the proper ID and OD for the spacers...this is a pain in the ass haha. And when its spaced I'll still have the chain/tire rub issue to work on joy oh joy. Anyway, if you have any ideas on spacers let me know.

• KJ790

Posted March 23, 2009 - 06:26 PM

I would buy some thing like this:
http://www.onlinemet...id=71&top_cat=0
and cut it into the proper length for the spacers you need. The inside diameter of that is 22.23mm and the wall thickness is 3.17mm. You can buy it by the inch, I'd say a 6 inch length should be more than enough.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted March 24, 2009 - 03:53 AM

Thanks for the link. The pipe looks good but I wish it was 22mm. I can't find 22mm for the life of me. I have 7/8" washer already. They are a bit larger than I want to use...they don't center like the 22mm and they have some slop in them compared to the 22mm.

• KJ790

Posted March 24, 2009 - 05:22 AM

Thanks for the link. The pipe looks good but I wish it was 22mm. I can't find 22mm for the life of me. I have 7/8" washer already. They are a bit larger than I want to use...they don't center like the 22mm and they have some slop in them compared to the 22mm.

You don't want it to be exactly 22mm, or it will be too tight to put together. It doesn't matter if there is a little slop in the spacers on the axle, as all they do is fill the space between the swingarm and the bearing. Once you tighten the axle everything is held tight.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.