Stripped Oil Plug.......

17 replies to this topic
  • tarlint

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:00 PM

So, I bought a used bike and went to change the oil when I realized the plug's head was stripped out pretty bad. After trying very carefully to to get it out, I was unsuccessful. It was stripped to badly and I tried using a pair of vice grips......maybe not smart???? At any rate, the head of the bolt looks like a badger has been nawing at it. I CANNOT get the bolt loose, does anyone have any ideas?

The head of the bolt now is really mashed and I cant figure any way to get it out.

Thanks for the advice!!

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:06 PM

There are several very good screw extractors the work by drilling a small hole and inserting the extractor which has reverse threads. You want to use the biggest one possible, and drill directly in the center of the bolt. It usuall requires fileing or grinding to get a clean place to drill.

Your other options are many, but I like to cut in a groove for a straight-edge screwdriver, then use an impact wrench to remove.

Applying heat to the case to get it to expand also helps. Just run the motor till very hot.

http://www.northernt...06057_200306057

• tarlint

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:12 PM

what other options are there? I tried a "grab-it" tool like you talked about where it threads in backwards and then tries to get it loose, but even with an electric drill.....no dice. I DID NOT heat up the case....would that make a big difference? I dont know if I have enough bolt to add a flat head slot for a screwdriver......how do you do that?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:17 PM

what other options are there? I tried a "grab-it" tool like you talked about where it threads in backwards and then tries to get it loose, but even with an electric drill.....no dice. I DID NOT heat up the case....would that make a big difference? I dont know if I have enough bolt to add a flat head slot for a screwdriver......how do you do that?

You really need to use an impact wrench for something like this. You can get one at Harbor Freight for 30 bucks.

What didn't work about the extractor; did it twist out, or break off?

Cutting in a slot is most easily done with a Dremel tool. Don't try it by hand.

You HAVE to get the cases hot. It would be best to lay the bike down on it's side so you can get maximum leverage. If the bike is standing up, it will never work.

Here is the problem: the steel bolt has corroded into the aluminum threads, because of electrolysis. If the bolt went into the case with no anti-seize or oil on it, it will always happen, eventually. Usually a drain bolt always has oil on it, but some guys actually clean off the bolt with brake cleaner before installing. NOT good.

• tarlint

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:27 PM

Ok, so I have never used an impact wrench......what is the deal with it? As for the extracting tool, I could get a bood bite, but even with an electric drill I did not have the power to back it out. Although, I did not try it when the case was hot, should I try that again first to see if it works? I have a dremel, but I dont know now if there is enough metal left with the hole in the center of the bolt from the extract tool. I have really created a mess!!!!

• hauraz

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:48 PM

If you go to sears if there is one close by, they have a bolt extractor kit that will fit over the bolt you are tying to remove by grabing onto the outside of the striped bolt head, and I mean really bite.
Then you attach the correct socket onto this extractor with you 3/8" ratchet and It should pull it right off.

• pablo83

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:19 PM

I had the same problem when I bought a used YZ400F. All the bolts on the bike were stupid-tight and I stripped the head trying to remove the drain bolt.

I think when the guys say you need an impact wrench they're really talking about an impact driver:
Posted Image
and yes, you do need one of these if you're going to do your own bike work. Sears sells a great one.

If you have an air compressor, an impact wrench may also work, but it also might grenade the threads.

On my bike I flipped it completely upside down (like a kid working on a bicycle) so I could get better leverage on the bike. I re-flatened the sides of the bolt head with a dremel and put a vice grip on it as thight as humanly possible. Then I put a pipe over the vise grip to give me more leverage. I was real worried about messing up the threads, but it finally popped free. Good luck.

• Birdy426

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:34 PM

If you go to sears if there is one close by, they have a bolt extractor kit that will fit over the bolt you are tying to remove by grabing onto the outside of the striped bolt head, and I mean really bite.
Then you attach the correct socket onto this extractor with you 3/8" ratchet and It should pull it right off.

Something like this...
http://www.harborfre...temnumber=96335

Use these with an impact gun...run the bike to heat it up, lay it over on it's side, put the socket over the bolt head and hit it with the impact gun.

Pablo- No, we are taking about impact guns like this...
http://search.harbor...word=impact gun
either air or electrically driven. While you do need an impact driver to work on these things, once you buy an impact gun (and a compressor to drive it), you will wonder how you ever worked on cars/bikes without it!

• pablo83

Posted March 24, 2009 - 06:47 AM

Pablo- No, we are taking about impact guns like this...

either air or electrically driven.

Neumatic impact guns are great on bolts that are just plain stuck, but I've had bad luck using them damaged bolts. They either farther destroy the head, or strip out the threads if the bolt was put in funny.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 24, 2009 - 11:59 AM

Ok, so I have never used an impact wrench......what is the deal with it? As for the extracting tool, I could get a bood bite, but even with an electric drill I did not have the power to back it out. Although, I did not try it when the case was hot, should I try that again first to see if it works? I have a dremel, but I dont know now if there is enough metal left with the hole in the center of the bolt from the extract tool. I have really created a mess!!!!

Got any pics?

• hauraz

Posted March 25, 2009 - 06:20 AM

Yes, the harbor freight extractor sockets, are like the sears craftsman ones, I will almost bet one of those will remove your stripped oil plug.

• Regalman

Posted March 25, 2009 - 12:05 PM

An impact gun is just going to further chew up the head.

If you do buy an impact driver, don't buy it from Harbor Freight... one mild first hit and the philips head shattered on me... we took it back to HF and then went to Sears... lesson learned.

• doctorchopper

Posted March 25, 2009 - 12:49 PM

never use those drill in screw extractors, the majoraty of the time they won't work and there is a good chance of breaking them inside the whole then you're screwed.These spiral fluted sockets work weel
http://www.matcotool...type=T&cat=3113
Another option is to weld a bolt onto the stripped bolt(only if you are a decent welder, if not get some one who is). Try heating the cases with a heat gun, tap the head of the bolt a couple times with a hammer(not too hard, just to shock it slightly) then try vise grips again.

• sabella

Posted March 26, 2009 - 09:08 PM

use penetrating oil and run it up to operation temp a few times over several days and it will come right out

• doctorchopper

Posted March 27, 2009 - 06:32 AM

i don't think penetrating oil will get in, its well sealed with the copper crush gasket, plus it is inverted.

• pablo83

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:43 AM

never use those drill in screw extractors, the majoraty of the time they won't work and there is a good chance of breaking them inside the whole then you're screwed.

+1

The extractor breaks more often than it removes the fastener. At least in my experiance.

• dmk75

Posted March 31, 2009 - 04:46 PM

I was also going to suggest welding a peice on to it......very carefully. This has gotten me out of more than one jam like this, although you probably have very little left to weld to.

Might be the quickest solution to your problem though . If you don't have close access to a welder then its only to put it on a truck/trailer and bring it to a fab shop, 5 minutes and your bolt will be out.

Often times its the simplest of problems that can cause you the most distress.

• jandmsuburban7

Posted April 08, 2009 - 02:33 PM

You probably fixed it by now but, Impact gun will probably damage more and can damage your threads 9even bigger problem) Easy out tools work very well if you know how to use them properly. The best bet is to use a file or grinder (carefully) and resize the nut downt to a rectangle shape and use a vise grip or open end that will fit and after you get it out - buy a new one and use teflon tape and new copper/teflon washer and dont tighten too much. Jason

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.