98 WR400 woes

7 replies to this topic
  • gator4life108

Posted March 22, 2009 - 02:48 PM

Ok so Im trying to finally get bike started and I was having a hard time and not learning the starting procedures the throttle was twisted a couple of times and from my reading that is very bad on these bikes.

The bike has a brand new NGK spark plug on it, so if I did indeed flood the engine is the spark plug shot? or do I need to wait a day or two to start the thing.

As of right now I cant get it started using the correct starting procedures.

Please help....:thumbsup:

• Frostbite

Posted March 22, 2009 - 04:29 PM

Ok so Im trying to finally get bike started and I was having a hard time and not learning the starting procedures the throttle was twisted a couple of times and from my reading that is very bad on these bikes.

The bike has a brand new NGK spark plug on it, so if I did indeed flood the engine is the spark plug shot? or do I need to wait a day or two to start the thing.

As of right now I cant get it started using the correct starting procedures.

Please help....:thumbsup:

The flooded engine is easy to clear, and will only take a minute.

Twist the throttle wide open and hold it there. Choke off, pull the decomp lever in and kick the engine over 15 - 20 times. It's important that the throttle stays in the same spot, WFO, while you're kicking. If you close the throttle and open it, the accelerator pump shoots a squirt of gas into the intake, reflooding the engine. Opening thenthrottle and holding it there lets the max amount of air flow through the cylinder, drying out the spark plug.

Once you're tired of kicking, roll the throttle closed and begin the regular strating procedure. If it floods again, or doesn't start after a few kicks, clear it again by holding WFO and kicking with the decomp in, choke off.

My 400 was very fussy to start. If my hand was touching the throttle barrel at all, it wouldn't start. I used to hold the crossbar with my right hand and leave it there until the engine started, then grab the throttle barrel.

• gator4life108

Posted March 22, 2009 - 04:59 PM

The flooded engine is easy to clear, and will only take a minute.

Twist the throttle wide open and hold it there. Choke off, pull the decomp lever in and kick the engine over 15 - 20 times. It's important that the throttle stays in the same spot, WFO, while you're kicking. If you close the throttle and open it, the accelerator pump shoots a squirt of gas into the intake, reflooding the engine. Opening thenthrottle and holding it there lets the max amount of air flow through the cylinder, drying out the spark plug.

Once you're tired of kicking, roll the throttle closed and begin the regular strating procedure. If it floods again, or doesn't start after a few kicks, clear it again by holding WFO and kicking with the decomp in, choke off.

My 400 was very fussy to start. If my hand was touching the throttle barrel at all, it wouldn't start. I used to hold the crossbar with my right hand and leave it there until the engine started, then grab the throttle barrel.

still no luck.....checked and there is good spark, but still not able to start the bike

• Frostbite

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:40 PM

When was the last time you had it running?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gator4life108

Posted March 22, 2009 - 07:07 PM

When was the last time you had it running?

I bought it from a guy and it was in rough shape......he squirted carb cleaner in the motor and it ran for a few seconds....that was the last time....so about 2 months ago.

• 1rkcooper

Posted March 22, 2009 - 07:19 PM

So you say you did not know the proper starting procedure.
Go to the YZ forum and click on the sticky "Common Threads". Go to the bottom of the page and you will find two videos from Yamaha describing how to start the 400 & 426 four strokes. These were extremely helpful when I bought my 400.

• gator4life108

Posted March 22, 2009 - 07:53 PM

So I think I found the problem........I opened up the drain bolt on the bottom of the carb and a little fuel poured out. Then I closed it and opened up the fuel on the petcock.....to my surprise no fuel went to the carb.......I think the floats my might be stuck closed.

My fuel line runs from the right side of the tank to the left side of the bike into the carb....so its doesn't flow completely downward it runs across the back of the engine, will this prevent the fuel from flowing to the carb?

I tore the carb apart yesterday and cleaned it out, because the floats were stuck open and gas was leaking......

Could this be my problem???

• gator4life108

Posted March 23, 2009 - 03:44 PM

So i tried starting it again.....this time I only got a couple pops out of it....very short.....whats next?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.