Rear Wheel Install help ASAP Please

4 replies to this topic
  • Mrmonk7663

Posted March 22, 2009 - 02:19 PM

Hello. I am installing a rear wheel on my bike. My question is this. When I put the wheel on and the axle and spacers, and then put the nut on but do not torque it, the wheel spins rather freely. When I begin to torque the nut, the wheel stops spinning freely. I can spin the wheel still but it takes an effort on my part. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. this is a custom setup so its a pain in the ass. If you could let me know asap i'd appreciate it as I need this wheel on tonight.

Thanks,
Mike

• Frostbite

Posted March 22, 2009 - 04:35 PM

Hello. I am installing a rear wheel on my bike. My question is this. When I put the wheel on and the axle and spacers, and then put the nut on but do not torque it, the wheel spins rather freely. When I begin to torque the nut, the wheel stops spinning freely. I can spin the wheel still but it takes an effort on my part. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong. this is a custom setup so its a pain in the ass. If you could let me know asap i'd appreciate it as I need this wheel on tonight.

Thanks,
Mike

When I tighten my rear axle, it has a bit more drag than when completely loose, but not much - the wheel should spin fairly freely. Check to make sure that the spacers are installed properly.

Also check to see if maybe the rear brake is causing the drag. Pry the brake pads back (arefully) so they completely clear the rotor. If the wheel spins freely then, maybe the caliper isn't sitting properly, or maybe a brake piston is sticking

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CORider63

Posted March 22, 2009 - 05:10 PM

Thanks,
Mike

Make sure that your brake pads are correctly seated in the caliper. I have taken my rear wheel on and off several times with no issues, then one time I fought it for while until I realized my pads were not fully seated where they belong.

• Mrmonk7663

Posted March 22, 2009 - 05:56 PM

The problem is the spacers. This is a custom streetbike rim im adapting. I need a new spacer as my stock 04 spacer wont fit on the brake side. I need a spacer about 1/8" thick...basically a large washer. Problem is that I can't find a washer with an OD that matches the bearing...I tried a large washer and that is what made it not spin. I'm still not understanding exactly why. Perhaps I don't understand how the bearings work if they are being compressed by the force off the nut tightening. Do the stock spacers actually TOUCH the bearings? If they do then the load of the axle nut compresses the bearings and they still work...if they don't then here lies my problem and solution. I think i've confused everyone now but if you can help please do.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 22, 2009 - 06:12 PM

The problem is the spacers. This is a custom streetbike rim im adapting. I need a new spacer as my stock 04 spacer wont fit on the brake side. I need a spacer about 1/8" thick...basically a large washer. Problem is that I can't find a washer with an OD that matches the bearing...I tried a large washer and that is what made it not spin. I'm still not understanding exactly why. Perhaps I don't understand how the bearings work if they are being compressed by the force off the nut tightening. Do the stock spacers actually TOUCH the bearings? If they do then the load of the axle nut compresses the bearings and they still work...if they don't then here lies my problem and solution. I think i've confused everyone now but if you can help please do.

Yes, the spacers touch the outside of the bearing. Contact your local Harley custom shop. They use tons of wheel spacers. Also contact wheel builders and tell them your set up, and they can provide the correct PAIR of spacers.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.