wr 400 won't idle

10 replies to this topic
  • mfwing82

Posted March 22, 2009 - 04:32 AM

Had this problem a couple times last year went away. now bike starts runs on choke but stalls out when you take choke off . as long as you give it gas it will run. let off throttle she dies . any ideas ????

• byggd

Posted March 22, 2009 - 04:49 AM

Normally that's a sign of a clogged pilot jet. Strange that it comes and goes. Do you run an in-line fuel filter? When it the last time you cleaned the carb?

• William1

Posted March 22, 2009 - 05:10 AM

Debris in the float bowl can make a problem 'come and go'. Gunk in the bottom of the bowl gets agitated (really mad!) and some can get up against a jet and hang there, causing a intermitent issue lkike thise though usually, it is the main jet that experiences it.

• mfwing82

Posted March 22, 2009 - 09:02 AM

took carb off. removed bowl was clean inside. removed pilot screw ran some seafoam through it seemed open squirted other holes and jets all seemed open. put carb back on still will not idle only starts with choke on took for a ride any time you let go of throttle pops and wants to die

• flyer05

Posted March 23, 2009 - 11:34 AM

Is the boot leaking between the carb and engine ?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • William1

Posted March 23, 2009 - 11:36 AM

Did you remove the pilot jet, ensure it is absolutely spotless?

• mfwing82

Posted March 23, 2009 - 12:23 PM

tried to do a quick clean took out jet sprayed I will take it completely apart and soak.

• vfr661

Posted March 23, 2009 - 01:37 PM

Last time I had similar problem I used compress air and carb cleaner to clean out the pilot jet. Make sure you take out the pilot jet, hold it up to a light source and can see through the small opening. That's the only way to ensure the small hole is not clogged.

• pablo83

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:04 PM

are you sure you're removing the pilot jet to clean it? It's the one deep inside its hole. There's another jet next to the main that much easier to get to, but it's something else, I'm not real sure what.

The pilot jet should have a main hole down the middle and some small holes on the side. You should be able to see thru all of them.

• mfwing82

Posted March 26, 2009 - 02:26 PM

Well , cleaned pilot and all passages with cleaner and air even blew smoke through to make sure still would not idle. When I came home today my son was looking at manual and took carb off again and found the pilot air jet was clogged . bike is idling. did not take it for a ride didnot want to get wet today. Thanks for all the help

• dynodavid

Posted March 26, 2009 - 03:13 PM

After i clean and blow out the jets, i use a piece of copper wire to run through them. Just a strand, and then blow 'em out again. I've found that even the most minute piece of bluck can cause issues.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.