yz400f questions

11 replies to this topic
  • Cavi

Posted March 21, 2009 - 04:35 PM

Okay I got a yz400f, now a few questions, mine is a yz and it had a dual sport kit which is currently in a box, but I will be reinstalling it. Anyway it came with many extra parts. It came with an extra airbox, the one that is in it has a green electrical box with a few wires hooked to it, I am assuming this is a WR airbox? Are the yz and the WR airboxes the same size? In other words will the yz airbox fit in the subframe if it is a wr subframe?
Also it has a wr rear fender, will a yz bolt right up? I want to use a yz fender as I will be using a LED taillight.

• Cavi

Posted March 21, 2009 - 04:48 PM

also what is the stock gearing on the yz400f?

• flyer05

Posted March 21, 2009 - 06:01 PM

I have a wr400f and had a YZ rear fender on it so I would assume it would work the other way also.

• mxdude1986

Posted March 21, 2009 - 06:40 PM

14/49 stock

• yz400fsmasher

Posted March 22, 2009 - 10:08 AM

i belive the gearing is 14/59

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2009 - 10:20 AM

i belive the gearing is 14/59

Well, everyone has to believe something.

It's not.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • texanspanking12

Posted March 22, 2009 - 10:23 AM

Might want to see if a WR 426 stator is in that thing or lights will be dim as crap... Should be an extra yellow wire coming out of the case. Thats why mine isnt converted cause i couldnt find a cheap stator/ flywheel.

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2009 - 10:24 AM

The early WR and YZF air boxes are the same except that the WR had a top cover and snorkel bolted to it and the YZ did not. If you remove the cover, it becomes a YZF air box.

• Cavi

Posted March 22, 2009 - 03:15 PM

the stator that is in there has a yellow wire and a extra white wire comming out next to the conector, my guess is they did mod a WR stator and these are the hot leeds for the DS kit

• Birdy426

Posted March 22, 2009 - 10:03 PM

the stator that is in there has a yellow wire and a extra white wire comming out next to the conector, my guess is they did mod a WR stator and these are the hot leeds for the DS kit

Sounds right. Typically, to run DC for turn signals and such you float the ground on a WR lighting coil. The green box with wires coming from it may be either a voltage regulator (4 or 5 wires) or a NiCAd battery (2 wires). If the kit was a Baja Designs kit, both the battery and regulator are located in the airbox.

• Cavi

Posted March 24, 2009 - 07:39 PM

I don't know what the wireing is because it has a Electrosport kit which is self contained, everything is in the headlight.

• travisn

Posted March 27, 2009 - 08:53 PM

The early WR and YZF air boxes are the same except that the WR had a top cover and snorkel bolted to it and the YZ did not. If you remove the cover, it becomes a YZF air box.

I was wondering about that, my box has screw holes and everything... There is a piece of rubber zip tied to the top that covers about half of the opening towards the rear of the bike... I wasnt really sure so I just left it.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.