08 YZ450F plug

5 replies to this topic
  • 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 21, 2009 - 03:30 PM

What is the plug supposed to look like on a properly jetted 450? Since the weather warming up, my plug color is off white color, with no residue. Its very clean with 2 hours on the plug.
Am I too lean? Jetting is stock, only mod is a ride eng. fuel screw. What jetting should I be running at 500ft, 70-80 degree weather? Only have a RS-2 slip on for mods. Thanks!!

• jjj109

Posted March 21, 2009 - 06:46 PM

What is the plug supposed to look like on a properly jetted 450? Since the weather warming up, my plug color is off white color, with no residue. Its very clean with 2 hours on the plug.
Am I too lean? Jetting is stock, only mod is a ride eng. fuel screw. What jetting should I be running at 500ft, 70-80 degree weather? Only have a RS-2 slip on for mods. Thanks!!

it sounds like your running a lil lean. 1 up on the main jet and 1 down on the clip for the needle

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2009 - 08:08 PM

If you are running unleaded gas, the plug should look about as you described it; smoky white. It is the lead in leaded fuel that gives color to plugs. With unleaded reading plugs provides no meaningful information.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 21, 2009 - 08:26 PM

Thanks Greyracer, It runs good at the track. I just pull the plug after every ride and replace them. I do save them to compare, but its looking all smoky white and clean. No residue (soot) and the bike runs great, just have to adjust the screw to weather differences. Always a pleasure to get good feedback for my Q's. Thanks again!:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2009 - 08:51 PM

I just pull the plug after every ride and replace them.

Wow. First four stroke?

I change my plug whenever I can't remember when I put the last one in. Seems to be something like once a year. The last one I replaced looked new.

As far as jetting goes, look through this:

http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

• 08YZ450Derek

Posted March 22, 2009 - 07:53 AM

Yeah, first 4 stroke. Maybe I should leave the plug alone, the bike starts 1st or 2nd kick cold right now. Hot its like 1 kick, w/ hot start. It sounds like my jetting should be okay, the bike pulls good on the track. I do have to clutch it in the corners to keep the power in the meaty area though. Feels soft off the bottom (compared to my 98 KX250) even added a 50T rear.
Otherwise I am trying to stay off the clutch so much. First practice I was revving it out, and the clutch was fading. So I stopped doing that and now I try to roll on the power and let it build. Love this bike though, suspension works really great and I am 220lbs! I might need to play with the clickers, I have it set up MXA specs. Any thoughts?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.