426 tick tick tick engine help? pics added

37 replies to this topic
  • Brraaaap Mom

Posted March 31, 2009 - 05:20 PM

Gray, Help...anyone

Tore in a bit deeper, to replace the oil pump. in the process I removed the oil strainer and found it was colapsed, and clogged with the fiberous material that I'm told is left behind from gaskets, shop towels etc. I'm thinking i've found the reason I was not getting oil returning to the sump?

• Ztard

Posted March 31, 2009 - 05:22 PM

oops. that was me posting above looks like the wife was still logged in

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:20 PM

Which oil strainer?

• Ztard

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:26 PM

Which oil strainer?

Behind the skid plate in the front. Below the frame drain bolt...If you remember I had another thread a year ago "look what I found in my oil strainer" The seen is no longer a tube...looks more like a squashed pop can

I have not yet got to the oil pump, I need a clutch holding tool

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:30 PM

That's the feed oil strainer, and yes, that kind of thing could definitely cause an oiling problem.

• Ztard

Posted March 31, 2009 - 06:36 PM

So I need to clean this strainer every oil change? I'm starting to get paranoid. I do oil changes every 2 track days= 4, 5 hours. But I've only cleaned this strainer twice since i bought the bike......how much more of this material could be in the engine at this point? Is there a better way to clean this junk out?

I still plan on replacing the oil pump at this point.

• grayracer513

Posted March 31, 2009 - 07:28 PM

You shouldn't have to clean it ever, really. But now you know why such a big deal is made about cleanliness when working on your engine, and why the manuals all advise "lint-free" wiping materials.

Sound like you may want to flush the oil tank.

• Ztard

Posted April 01, 2009 - 03:31 AM

Any tips on this process. Again thanks your insight is invaluble.:thumbsup:

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2009 - 07:26 AM

Remove all oil lines, plug it and fill it with Simple Green and water at 50/50, and let it soak. Lay it on it's side and run the wand of a pressure washer up into it and let fly for a while. Then fill it with alcohol to eliminate the water, then with ATF. Let the ATF soak a while, then drain it and let it drip thoroughly out for several hours.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ztard

Posted April 02, 2009 - 03:24 PM

Finally got around to removing the oil pump. Yes I plan on replacing it at this point, but what about the gouge in the case??? Should I be concerned?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• grayracer513

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:02 PM

The gouge in the case is not ideal, but that's the return pump, so you should be alright. File or sand away any burrs that stand above the machined back surface of the bore.

• Ztard

Posted April 02, 2009 - 04:05 PM

Thanks, will do. :thumbsup:

• Brraaaap Mom

Posted April 18, 2009 - 02:36 PM

All back together. The bike makes good power, but still ticks more than I would like???

• Ztard

Posted April 18, 2009 - 02:38 PM

Again oops. looks like the wife has been on the thumpette forum again. The above post was me.

• tntmo

Posted April 18, 2009 - 02:52 PM

How much did it cost for the head repair?

• Ztard

Posted April 18, 2009 - 03:00 PM

$285 including reshiming and grinding valve seats....basic head rework. Not to mention the oil pump!!!!!$100.

• yzf426f

Posted April 24, 2009 - 12:06 AM

how much is a new head gonna set u back?

• Ztard

Posted April 24, 2009 - 09:18 AM

I did not buy a new head, i got the original fixed. OEM $700

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.