New to thumper...need some help with what to do to four strokes

11 replies to this topic
  • dbshea

Posted March 21, 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hey all, new to the forum and new to the thumper world. I've ridden 2 strokes since i was 6, but a friend was ditching one of his bikes and after some research i picked up an '00 yz426 for a grand. He was told the bike was a former factory race bike, not that I believe it but it does have oodles of aftermarket stuff. I rode the bike last presidents day weekend (this ride is what led me to thumpers) and the thing is a beast, I was sold. So now I have a bike that I don't know the maintenace history on, and have never dealt with a 4 stroke before. What should I have checked, obviously oil, filters, plug, etc will be changed. The bike runs (does not like starting or idling anymore, but has been sitting since presidents day so I know a carb clean is in order) and rides nicely. Do thumpers need top end rebuilds as often as 2 strokes? What needs to be checked in that top end? Any input you guys have would be great, as well as any suggested mods to use or avoid. :thumbsup: Thanks!

• dbshea

Posted March 21, 2009 - 04:44 PM

bump for a newb

• Smokeslider

Posted March 21, 2009 - 04:45 PM

Valves, Valves, Valves. Learn how to check them and adjust them. If you don't already have a manual, get one or at the very least, download one from the one of the stickies at the top of the YZ Page. I would recommend that you tear the bike down and grease the steering head bearings, wheel bearings, and swingarm/linkage bearings. Change the oil often and pay attention to any metal that may be in it. Learn how jetting works with these 4-strokes and it will save you a lot of time in the future. Also understand that your engine is probably on borrowed time. This is not to say that it will let go soon, but eventually it will need some tlc. If you don't catch the valves going in time, then expensive engine damage will result. If the bike seems loud, repack the muffler and keep the damn thing quiet. We all want to keep our riding areas open. Ride every second you get the chance and welcome to the crazy addiction that is 4-strokes.

Chad

• dbshea

Posted March 21, 2009 - 06:36 PM

Awesome man, that's exactly what I was lookin for!

• husqy360

Posted March 21, 2009 - 06:40 PM

Learn how jetting works with these 4-strokes and it will save you a lot of time in the future.
Chad

im a noob to carbs, where can i learn how to jet my bike? link will be helpful
my shop do a realy bad job on it so i just let it run rich.

• grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2009 - 08:04 PM

im a noob to carbs, where can i learn how to jet my bike? link will be helpful

Look at Common Threads?

http://www.thumperta...699#post2881699

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husqy360

Posted March 21, 2009 - 08:36 PM

ok i think i found it, very good post Every Thing You Need To Know About Carbs, http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=404426

• TIG88

Posted March 22, 2009 - 05:24 AM

Also, accept the fact that your gonna need an inch-pound torque wrench. I broke down and bought one when I did my top end last weekend. They're not cheap, but worth it if you plan on doing some maintenance yourself (which will save you alota $$).

Go to the TT store and get a new cam chain for your bike. It should be about 15 bucks. They should be changed every year or so. They stretch, which can cause the engine to jump time, which means alot of costly engine work.

I typically change my oil every 6 hours, and my filter every 2 oil changes.

Grab a set of feeler gauges and check the valve clearence too!

• Standard22

Posted March 22, 2009 - 09:23 PM

Also, accept the fact that your gonna need an inch-pound torque wrench. I broke down and bought one when I did my top end last weekend. They're not cheap, but worth it if you plan on doing some maintenance yourself (which will save you alota $$).

Where did you get it? What kind? How much?

• erickdj

Posted March 23, 2009 - 12:43 PM

Where did you get it? What kind? How much?

I got one from MSC Industrial Supply, at their online store. This one: http://www1.mscdirec...PMT4NO=60668163

Sears also carries that wrench, but it's more expensive at sears. MSC is cheaper and they offered free overnight shipping. The wrench itself is quite nice, very nicely built, and it fits fine between the head and the frame.

• Ga426owner

Posted March 23, 2009 - 04:07 PM

be forewarned that they will cost more money and will mandate a hell of a lot more time working on them than a 2smoke

• BRY_426F_

Posted March 23, 2009 - 07:34 PM

When i bought my 426FM (2000) It had a wierd noise. it wasnt oober loud.. but sounded like there was some clanking on the inside.. after hitting Little Sahara Sand dunes racing it pretty rough, it made even more noise.. sounded like my clutch basket was coming apart.. wasn't comforting at all! I had a mechanic do a teardown and it tured out there was 2 teeth missing off of my crank, and another gear with a chunk out of it resembling a pie with a large slice taken out of it. the cranks are NOTORIOUSLY bad in these things.. and hot rods doesnt make an aftermarket for our loved 426. OEM was expensive as hell. use the TT store it is VERY essential to saving some dough! good luck hope your buying experience is better than mine!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.