Kickstarter noise?

5 replies to this topic
  • Rockstar14125

Posted March 20, 2009 - 11:14 PM

After riding my yz400 all day and bringing it back home with no problems, I tried to start it at my house to check on a mysterious noise I had heard earlier that day. It took forever to get it started where as it usually only takes 3-4 tries. I noticed I was getting a lot of kickback and one of the times it kicked-back I heard a metallic ping noise. I let it sit for a while thinking I probably flooded it. When I came back over and tried again it fired right up. However, the noise I am wondering about is coming from the kicksrarter. It makes the same noise as when you start it and accidentally hold the kickstarter down except more quiet. I stood the bike up and it seemed to slightly affect the noise making it more quiet and ev en making it stop for a few seconds. Whats going on in there? Is this a $10 spring or a $$$$ rebuild?

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2009 - 08:42 PM

Something is dislodged or broken. You're going to need to open it up and see what happened.

• Rockstar14125

Posted March 25, 2009 - 06:30 AM

Crap, I assume I need to drain the oil and order a new gasket before I do that?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 25, 2009 - 06:32 AM

Yep. Coolant, too.

• diegox450

Posted March 25, 2009 - 06:34 AM

Check the kick starter stop, inside the case... Theres a thread about it in TT

http://www.thumperta...tart stop noise
http://www.thumperta...kick noise stop << This is from a WR

• Rockstar14125

Posted March 25, 2009 - 07:53 PM

I got into my case but I couldent figure out how to get the kickstart shaft out. Also, My freaking oil drain plug is stripped. Should I just +1 the size and tap it or do a timesert or helicoil?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.