'03 YZ450 Power Adders

6 replies to this topic
  • DZTRDR

Posted March 20, 2009 - 09:25 PM

I have an '03 YZ450 that has a few bolt-on performance parts and I'm looking to get a little more power out of the bike. I've been thinking about the Athena big-bore kit but don't really want to go that route just yet. So, I'm wondering if a camshaft swap would be more what I'm wanting. I've done alittle searching through old thread but haven't really found the info I need. So, for those of you that have changed out your cams please help me out here. I'm curious to know if its a worthwhile mod to do and what all goes along with installing these things. Also, which cam will yield better gains the exhaust or intake or could I change out both of them if I wanted? Should I get a new timing chain when I change these out? Thanks in advance for any information.

Rob

• jjj109

Posted March 21, 2009 - 10:05 AM

I have an '03 YZ450 that has a few bolt-on performance parts and I'm looking to get a little more power out of the bike. I've been thinking about the Athena big-bore kit but don't really want to go that route just yet. So, I'm wondering if a camshaft swap would be more what I'm wanting. I've done alittle searching through old thread but haven't really found the info I need. So, for those of you that have changed out your cams please help me out here. I'm curious to know if its a worthwhile mod to do and what all goes along with installing these things. Also, which cam will yield better gains the exhaust or intake or could I change out both of them if I wanted? Should I get a new timing chain when I change these out? Thanks in advance for any information.

Rob

What kind of riding do you do? Also how big are you? What Im getting at if your in the 155lb to 190lb that bike goes pretty well stock. Unless your a very fast rider I wouldnt try to get any more power out of the motor just try to make it more useful. I am a top 10 finisher or better some days in my local B class and that bike was more then enough for me ( 174lbs , 5'9 ). I cant even tell you how many holeshots I got on that bike. Is the motor tired and needing a rebuild or slipping clutch ?

• FinchFan194

Posted March 21, 2009 - 11:04 AM

I agree the 03 and 04's are beastly

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sc149

Posted March 23, 2009 - 07:24 AM

the best mod for the 03 yz 450 is a 13 oz flywheel weight and adding 2 teeth to the rear sprocket. Unless your drag racing this bike will never need any more power. Wheelspin=problems

• ace402

Posted March 23, 2009 - 09:23 AM

Yes, do the timing chain

• XR133

Posted March 23, 2009 - 12:27 PM

I agree, this thing doesn't need any more HP. Raced my recently acquired '03 450 in a harescramble this past weekend and when the traction is there, it's wheelie city (even in 3rd and 4th gear) and when it's slimy, I just got wheelspin. Thinking flywheel weight...but definitely not power adders. You sure your's is running right?

• Ga426owner

Posted March 23, 2009 - 04:05 PM

HP is king go for it
I did a cam swap and it became the holeshot king
I then did much more and it was much better
then I did a BigBore not Athena and it is simply a friggin beast
but get ready to be wore out faster and more vibration
but it sure is friggin fun to ride

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.