Is this normal?

3 replies to this topic
  • guitarnut57

Posted March 20, 2009 - 07:52 PM

Before I ask this question, please forgive me of my ignorance of 4 strokes, as I raced 2 strokes my entire life until I made the switch to a 2004 YZ 450 back in November and am pretty much clueless.

Here is what is concerning me. I fired-up my bike tonight before I changed the oil and filter like I do after every ride, and I don't know why I did it, but I stuck my head down next to the outside of the cylinder to listen. Every time I revved the bike a little I noticed somewhat of a clattering/knocking sound that got progressively louder the higher I got into the rpm's. Is this normal for 4 strokes? Do I need to post a vid of it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• FinchFan194

Posted March 20, 2009 - 08:09 PM

I have an 04 also from 98 to 09 yz4xxf's are a pretty noisy motor maybe you just never noticed it before?? I am sure Gray will have an answer for you.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • finthat

Posted March 20, 2009 - 09:36 PM

I am a 450 rookie too but I would guess the noise has something to do with your timing chain, tensionor and or guides. But I am not a 4 stroker pro just yet.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2009 - 09:46 PM

When ever you work on your bike, it always improves your hearing. :thumbsup:

Unless you are familiar with it, you should compare yours to another one before you worry too much about it. Also, if you have a skid plate, that can exaggerate the noise level, and if you R&R'd it for the oil change, it can sound entirely different than it did before you took the plate off.

Related Content

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

• Hot  79 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

• Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.