Van Deiman's Land

5 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 14, 2001 - 08:49 PM

I'm wondering if any of you ozzies know where to get a book that has been published about riding around Tasmainia on mostly dirt tracks and including some beaches. I'm planning to do the ride in early March and would love to get my hands on this book.As it will be my first long distance ride so any help would be appreciated.

• Damian

Posted February 16, 2001 - 12:44 PM

perhaps try the Tasmanian Government Tourist Bureau. I've heard that the department that looks after the state parks actually sign post some tracks as recommended for bike riding.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 18, 2001 - 01:36 PM

Thanks Damian, I'll check it out.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted February 21, 2001 - 08:25 PM

Got it at last! I tried everywhere but good old Australian Dirt Bike Magazine came through with the goods and gave me the contact number for Service Tasmania. From what I heard it sounds like an awesome ride through some of the prettiest landscapes and beaches in the world. You dont even need a registered bike or rec vehicle as for a small fee you are granted temp registration for your trip. I head off at the end of Melb Grand Prix for two weeks and I am already counting down the days to my adventure.

• Damian

Posted February 21, 2001 - 10:42 PM

Have a great ride. i've only ridden down there in Tassie on a road bike, but had a ball.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 22, 2001 - 01:26 AM

I came,
I saw,
I rode..
Tasmania, you know the place, the small little state that everyone leaves off the map, home to Yahoo Serious and extinct tigers. Has anyone ever mentioned the completely arse kicking riding?? There is so much that you only have to drive down a dirt road a couple of meters before finding a track and you have just got your self three days of riding on pristine tracks. Or if riding on 30m sand dunes is more to your liking just head on down the beach at 140km's to you get there, what was that you brought yor motard rims with you? then you better take all those hairpin bends sideways, I reckon that there is more bends in Tassie than there is in the whole of the mainland put together.
As you have might of guessed I had an absolute ball over there (I have to get back there) did about 1600k's now all I have to do is:
adjust valves
oil change
two tires
wheel bearings
remove all lights
sprockets
front and rear brake pads
BUT IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!
:) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.