how do i know the motor is getting coolant?

8 replies to this topic
  • silmo20

Posted March 20, 2009 - 07:00 PM

i've seen many threads about headers getting red hot, mine does the same. within a minute to two minutes it glowing and the radiator and hoses are really hot to touch. i know the glowing is normal to a certain degree, but i think this is too much. its a 2001 yz426. please keep it simple, don't know much about these things.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2009 - 09:50 PM

If the top of the radiators get hot, and warm air blows through the srouds as you ride, it's circulating.

• Tomok

Posted March 21, 2009 - 03:29 AM

If you leave your bike running on the stand or just not moving at all, a four stroke header is going to glow. I would try to limit this as much as possible.

• ZMoney520

Posted March 21, 2009 - 05:10 PM

while the bike is cold, crank it and take off the radiator cap. You will see the antifreeze moving across the opening. Just do this for a few seconds. Don't do it while it is hot. Make sure you put the cap back on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jjj109

Posted March 21, 2009 - 06:37 PM

i've seen many threads about headers getting red hot, mine does the same. within a minute to two minutes it glowing and the radiator and hoses are really hot to touch. i know the glowing is normal to a certain degree, but i think this is too much. its a 2001 yz426. please keep it simple, don't know much about these things.

read your manual. it says not to let bike sit and run for more then several mins cause it will over heat. high comp, aggresive cam, with retarted ignition timing when idling doesnt mate well just idling. a engine like YZF's have would need a fan for the radiators to keep the bike from over heating just from sitting and idling .

• silmo20

Posted March 22, 2009 - 04:55 PM

ok, i'll try that. thanks a lot.

• travisn

Posted March 27, 2009 - 09:00 PM

How about knowing when its too hot? I was riding a really slow/muddy single track the other week and it kept gassing out coolant, which is normal, but there has to be a limit some where between losing too much coolant and getting too hot.

I have since installed an over flow tank, but I still get worried. there is no room what so ever in the budget for a rebuild. maybe a mechanical temp gauge?

• 426 NOOB

Posted March 27, 2009 - 10:31 PM

How about knowing when its too hot? I was riding a really slow/muddy single track the other week and it kept gassing out coolant, which is normal, but there has to be a limit some where between losing too much coolant and getting too hot.

I have since installed an over flow tank, but I still get worried. there is no room what so ever in the budget for a rebuild. maybe a mechanical temp gauge?

Pro circuit makes stick on temperature strips that you can stick to your rads and cylinder to keep an eye on engine temps. I think they are pretty inexpensive too.

• stk0308

Posted March 28, 2009 - 09:03 AM

Pro circuit makes stick on temperature strips that you can stick to your rads and cylinder to keep an eye on engine temps. I think they are pretty inexpensive too.

They're a great idea. But a little hard to check while rolling down the trail :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.