99 Lighting coil?

5 replies to this topic
  • XVWDVW

Posted August 12, 2002 - 12:17 PM

I have only had my 99 WR for a few months now and have heard different things about its lighting coil. Some tell me that it has the newer, more powerful coil and others say it has the older weaker one. How many watts are we talking here, and how hard is it to upgrade?
I was just riding the other night and thought I needed more light until I started riding side by side with my buddy on his XR650. I didn't realize how good I had it. His light just made a little yellow dot on the ground, while I was throwing a wide, white, light. When I was riding beside him it was hard to tell if his light was on or off.
Thanks
Max

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted August 12, 2002 - 03:37 PM

40 or 50 watts difference. The stock '99 stator's max output is 80 watts. You can put in a stator from an '01 (or '00?) and it puts out 120 or 130 watts. (I'm not sure which is correct.) I think you would need an ammeter to tell for sure. Or you could see if the part number is written on it.

Here's the numbers to look for:
P/N -- Year
5BF-85560-00-00 -- 1999
5GS-85560-50-00 -- 2000
5NG-85560-01-00 -- 2001

It's easy to switch them out. All you need is a flywheel puller and the right size torx wrench. And a new ignition cover gasket. And a new stator.

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: Rich in Orlando ]

• wrsm

Posted August 13, 2002 - 10:38 AM

Is the regulator upgraded too? I would have thought so - best to check this out or you will fry the regulator then blow your bulbs.

Voltage will be same (i.e. 12v), but I bet the current rating is higher.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • fershy

Posted August 15, 2002 - 06:43 PM

wrsm,yeah if memory serves the 2000 model got a beefier voltage regulator as well.
fershy

• Thumpin'_Canuck

Posted August 16, 2002 - 09:02 PM

XVWDVW, Similar situation here. I was out night ridin' with a buddy (2000 XR650) his light was a
crappy yellow color. He's a better rider than I (for now) so he had to follow me that night. I think he should trade his red tank for a blue rocket anyway. When the 450's get to town I'll take him to the blue toy store and enlighten him some more. TC

• Hick

Posted August 16, 2002 - 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Rich in Orlando:
You can put in a stator from an '01 (or '00?) and it puts out 120 or 130 watts.

It's easy to switch them out. All you need is a flywheel puller and the right size torx wrench. And a new ignition cover gasket. And a new stator.

Do you need a new flywheel?

I just got off the phone with a guy from Baja Designs, they said 120 Watts.

Does anybody know if an ’01 YZ flywheel will work with an ’01 WR stator?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.