Questions about my new (to me) 98 WR

5 replies to this topic
  • peterhansel

Posted February 21, 2003 - 10:06 PM

I bougth a 98 WR, i rode it a couple of times and i simply loved it but now i want to do some maintenance and i do not have the owners manual. Maybe you could give some tips about ordinary maintenance and how to properly hear the bike without replacing the stock exhaust pipe. Thank you.

• yamaha.dude

Posted February 21, 2003 - 11:06 PM

Welcome to TT and the world of Blue...

You may be able to get a manual from the dealer, or on eBay... I can point you to a manual for an 03 model bike... not much has changed maintenance wise, obviously the spec tables will be different...

The maintenance is not that much harder, and some would say easier, than any two smoke you may have owned before... the most important thing is to change the oil regularly, keep the airfilter oiled and clean, and make sure everything else is looked at from time to time.

Without seeing the bike and knowing what condition it is in, or what other maintenance it has had, I would make sure the bearings in the headstem is greased and in good condition... the swing arm and linkages bearings are greased and in good condition, the wheel bearings are greased and in good condition.

Once you know that the rolling chassis is right, then you could check your valve clearances (not a hard job really) and check the cam chain condition. You could do a leak-down test on the cylinder, and for fun, you could clean the carb and all jets. flush all the cables with something like WD40, and then use some good Teflon or graphite oil to lube the cables... check the ends for fraying. You may also want to check the clutch plates, depending on the miles and abuse it has had...

Put a new Iridium spark plug in (make sure there is no crud around the plug or blocking the drain hole in the head), and of course, make sure brake shoes and rotors are up to spec. When you change the oil, replace the filter... you can blow them out a few times and re-use it in the future...

To really get to know your bike check every nut and spoke nipple for the correct torque... including rim-locks and bar mounts...

Once you have that done. get some simple green and give it a really good scrubbing... rinse off, let dry and then wash it again with some mop-n-glo...

I would also replace the fork oil with some fresh stuff, and check the footpegs and replace them if needed...

I think that should get you on a reliable and well tuned bike...

After that, it will just be oil, tyres and air filters...

• yamaha.dude

Posted February 22, 2003 - 05:29 PM

Also, while you have the bike stripped down check the frame for cracks and big dings... subframe as well...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha.dude

Posted February 27, 2003 - 10:23 PM

I know you have the Stock European exhaust on your bike... you probably don't have much chance of modifying that... perhaps a TT member from the US has a pipe laying around they could let go for a very good price? At least with the US pipes you can get into them and pull the guts out for some more power...

Any of you guys got a pipe you can spare for a Portuguese Brother on a budget who's looking for a bit more power?

• Jekel

Posted March 01, 2003 - 05:51 PM

I have a yz400 pipe about. PM me.

• peterhansel

Posted March 07, 2003 - 11:42 PM

Tell me how can we arrange the deal. :)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.