WR400 not starting after top end rebuild - Thoughts?

1 reply to this topic
  • toooldforthis

Posted March 20, 2009 - 08:45 AM

Took time and performed a top end rebuild plus rings on my '98 WR400. Followed the service manual certainly whenit came to timing. I am getting good spark but just not getting fuel. Cleaned all jets and made sure float was not stuck. Tried push starting and would get some sign of life only when I (never supposed to) pumped the throttle but would just bog out and kill. I double checked all vacuum lines and fuel lines, etc.

A buddy is coming over to pull me behind his KTM and see if we can coax it intio starting. I think there is something wrong that I am overlooking.

Any thoughts are hugely appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pablo83

Posted March 20, 2009 - 04:54 PM

Took time and performed a top end rebuild plus rings on my '98 WR400. Followed the service manual certainly whenit came to timing. I am getting good spark but just not getting fuel. Cleaned all jets and made sure float was not stuck. Tried push starting and would get some sign of life only when I (never supposed to) pumped the throttle but would just bog out and kill. I double checked all vacuum lines and fuel lines, etc.

A buddy is coming over to pull me behind his KTM and see if we can coax it intio starting. I think there is something wrong that I am overlooking.

Any thoughts are hugely appreciated.

If the bike is starting when you twist the throttle then the accelerator pump is working, you're getting fuel to the carb, and you're getting spark.

Here's what I'd check:
1) Where's the idle stop screw set? If it's all the way backed off then the bike's not getting enough air at idle

2) Where's the idle mixture screw set? It should be backed out something like 2.5 turns to start with. If it's all the way in you're not getting any fuel from the idle circuit

3) Is your idle jet is clogged or too small?

good luck

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.