Number plate tricks?

9 replies to this topic
  • thmlrmg

Posted March 20, 2009 - 05:43 AM

I am about to put on my number plate decals on an 08 450f and was wondering if you guys had any useful tips. The last time I did it I had some good size bubbles on the exhaust side. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2009 - 06:25 AM

Read:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=406463

• Kasjok

Posted March 20, 2009 - 06:28 AM

Hot air gun is your best friend there. Warm the background really well before applying and keep it warm while working your way around. Take your time and don`t be affraid to peel back the background if needed.. For example when a large wrinkle or bubble is forming. There might be few smaller bubbles once you are done, but simply use your thumb to press it out from the nearest edge of the decal. You can also poke a small hole in the bubble with a needle and press it down.

• Aka.Goose

Posted March 20, 2009 - 08:07 AM

This stuff works great... http://www.decalmx.c...od.ihtml?pid=25
$16 and is enough for prob 3-4 full kits...
Or go to a local banner/sign shop and ask for some aplication fluid...
Get the stickers really nice and wet top and bottom, it'll just slide around until you start to squeegie out the aplication fliud from the center out...If any areas start drying too fast or are too tacky carefully peel it back up and spray more fluid...If you use a heat gun or blow dryer you can kind of stretch and mold the sticker to fit tricky spots...
But the key to not getting bubbles I think is to keep it way more wet than you think you need to...It's easy to squeegie out aplication fluid, it's a pita to squeegie out air...

• rookie23

Posted March 20, 2009 - 08:23 AM

here is the cheapest and easiest way i have found, mix up a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle of water, spray the back plate and the sticky side of the decals, apply the decals, they will slide anywhere you want them, when you are happy squeggie the water out from under the stickers, no muss no fuss and most importantly no bubbles

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • warrior73

Posted March 20, 2009 - 08:27 AM

here is the cheapest and easiest way i have found, mix up a tablespoon of dishwashing liquid in a spray bottle of water, spray the back plate and the sticky side of the decals, apply the decals, they will slide anywhere you want them, when you are happy squeggie the water out from under the stickers, no muss no fuss and most importantly no bubbles

:)
nothing works better. not heat guns, not actual aplication sprays nothin.

• Kasjok

Posted March 20, 2009 - 09:44 AM

I haven`t tried applying decals with soapy water or windex, yet, but it seems like it would be sticking better when applyed dry!?

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2009 - 09:52 AM

I haven`t tried applying decals with soapy water or windex, yet, but it seems like it would be sticking better when applyed dry!?

Seems the way, but that's not how it works.

• nickeenoo

Posted March 20, 2009 - 03:48 PM

:thumbsup:
nothing works better. not heat guns, not actual aplication sprays nothin.

Copy on the dish soap. Works like a charm, is cheap, and you don't have to go to the store or wait for mail order. The wife's hair dryer is a must for getting the decals to bend around the plastic. A little heat and the decal just forms to the plastic.

Nate

• Patriot1

Posted March 20, 2009 - 07:43 PM

+1 for the soapy water, hair dryer and squeegee method. I just put on new numbers on wednesday and was pretty nervous about it (I haven't put number on a 4 stroke before). I just got all the plastic clean, clean, clean applied soapy water to the plastic and the stickers lined them up and took my time with the squeegee and the hair dryer and got them on perfect, with no bubbles in about 30 minutes. Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.