03 yz 450

10 replies to this topic
  • rookie23

Posted March 20, 2009 - 05:34 AM

i hav an 03 yz450, it has about every mod that can be done to one and holy cow is it scary quick !!! i love it but one problem i have found that drive me crazy is the fact if you enter a turn at a pretty steep angle the rear tire wants to slide out on me ! you can even "feel" it when you start to lay the bike over, it gets loose even at a moderate angle, it had a pretty new dunlap d739 on it. please help i'm tired of digging dirt out of helmet.

also the suspension is set up a little stiff, but not to bad, could this be the problem ?

• thmlrmg

Posted March 20, 2009 - 05:40 AM

Have you set up your race sag on the bike?

• rookie23

Posted March 20, 2009 - 05:50 AM

yeah, the guy i bought it from had it set up for him he was 180 lbs, and i am 205, i wouldn't really think that would make that big of a diffrence

• thmlrmg

Posted March 20, 2009 - 05:58 AM

25 pounds is a big difference not only in the race sag but the spring rates also. I would go back and check that and have you checked your alignment on your rear axle? What part of Tennessee are you in?

• rookie23

Posted March 20, 2009 - 06:15 AM

i am in sweetwater, about 50 miles south of knoxville. i have not checked the alignment on the rear axle, that might be a good place to start, also it might just be a mental thing but it seems to do it worse turning to the left than to the right ??? or it could be i am just really out of practice, i have been on a quad for several years now, the last yz i had was white and red if that tells you how long ago that has been ha ha a 89 model i believe it was

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thmlrmg

Posted March 20, 2009 - 06:20 AM

Yeah, You can't swing that bike through the turns like a quad. If it is more severe in one direction than the other I would think it may be tire alignment.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2009 - 06:36 AM

The D739 is a hard-pack only tire. If the soil is loose and loamy, or loose and dry, the tire, oh, what's the word I'm looking for....., SUCKS. Try something different if the dirt in your area is anything but hard packed dry clay.

• rookie23

Posted March 20, 2009 - 06:54 AM

yeah maxxis has a good looking tire that i might strap on, no offence to anybody but the condition is so bad that it would about have to the tire, i mean it will slide out from under you at 10mph and in a staight line it will literally blow the rear off of it even in 3rd gear, it's fun don't get me wrong but i need to hook it up a little better

• jjj109

Posted March 20, 2009 - 02:14 PM

yeah maxxis has a good looking tire that i might strap on, no offence to anybody but the condition is so bad that it would about have to the tire, i mean it will slide out from under you at 10mph and in a staight line it will literally blow the rear off of it even in 3rd gear, it's fun don't get me wrong but i need to hook it up a little better

If you mean coming into a turn and your having trouble then yeah try another tire. but straight line traction any tire isnt going to hook that good on that bike if your just whacking the throttle. I raced that bike for a while I know your a big guy but if there isnt a little flywheel weight added to the flywheel then that sucker is gonna want to spin up fast. I use to switch it up from a 4oz to 6oz heavier flywheel to help getting the tire to hook up and tone the power a little bit. she is a beast to control

• rookie23

Posted March 23, 2009 - 04:22 AM

that is what makes it so fun, :thumbsup: i actually put on a new dunlop 773 and lowered it alittle and it isn't nearly as bad now

• jjj109

Posted March 23, 2009 - 04:46 AM

that is what makes it so fun, :thumbsup: i actually put on a new dunlop 773 and lowered it alittle and it isn't nearly as bad now

yea at times yes can be lots of fun fooling around. but if your trying to ride a hard pack track like supercross or arena cross then it can be difficult to trying to come out of a corner with limited run up to a 65 ft triple. hard to get her to hook on certain situations. you might like adding some flywheel weight. i did

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.