GYTR Head

19 replies to this topic
  • jeffboyd47m

Posted March 18, 2009 - 07:54 PM

Just recieved my GYTR head today. My dealer sold me one for a big discount so I thought what the hell and bought it. I got it for about 1800.00 delivered includeing sales tax. I'll follow up with a report when I get a chance to install it.

• rickallen124

Posted March 18, 2009 - 08:28 PM

Get that thing on and ride it! I want to hear a report. Man, I'd be burning the midnight oil so I could ride it.

• husqy360

Posted March 18, 2009 - 10:29 PM

already! let us know how it works.

• jeffboyd47m

Posted March 19, 2009 - 07:27 AM

I won't be installing it untill after the 28th. I have a desert race in Page Arizona on that date and my bike is running perfect now and I don't want to mess with it before the race.

• nickeenoo

Posted March 20, 2009 - 09:45 PM

What class are you racing?

• Family Man

Posted March 20, 2009 - 10:24 PM

did the 1800 include the cams?

• rickallen124

Posted May 13, 2009 - 06:28 PM

Jeff, have you got the head on? If not then send it up here and I'll test it for you. Hahaha. If so what is the verdict?

• StPeters21

Posted May 15, 2009 - 05:58 PM

1800!!!! Wow...I just ported and polished with a little knowledge and elbow grease. My runs better than I could ever imagine. The throttle response is unreal. No hesitation, just WFO as soon as you crack the throttle.

• mikedabike

Posted May 16, 2009 - 01:53 AM

did the 1800 include the cams?

It is complete with new cams. I am also curious as to the performance of this head. I would love to see some dyno sheets to compare to some of the aftermarket stuff.

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2009 - 07:01 AM

1800!!!! Wow...I just ported and polished with a little knowledge and elbow grease. My runs better than I could ever imagine. The throttle response is unreal. No hesitation, just WFO as soon as you crack the throttle.

For those wanting to follow the DIY route, be advised: you can make your bike slower by "porting" it as easily as faster. The 5 valve Genesis head is a tricky thing to work with, and some things that you can do to the port shape that "obviously make sense" are exactly the wrong approach to take.

There's a good thread on one gentleman's experimentation in this area:

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=741883

Note that his first attempts to improve flow by a method that had been previously successful on another type of head actually caused a reduction in flow, not an increase.

One of the country's very best tuners, Ron Hamp, whose bikes regularly occupy Grand National podiums, worked for a couple of years to get a 450cc YZ450 over 60 hp. The head is not easy to work with.

The two critical areas of the intake port are the valve pockets and the dividers at the point where the 3 individual ports branch off the main port. If doing your own work without access to a flow bench, it best if the shapes of these areas are left completely unchanged; just smooth things out a little.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • KJ790

Posted May 16, 2009 - 09:46 AM

$1800 is a steal considering that the list price is $2,245.95. L&M racing insists this is the exact head that James Stewart is running untouched (though I believe they are running Crower cams instead of GYT-R). You have to concider what you are getting, you are not just paying for porting, you are getting all the parts and keeping your stock head. To buy a stock head and build it up similar wouldn't cost much different. A new stock head (bare) is around $600. Then the valves are about $350, $20 for retainers, $210 for a heavy duty spring kit (for aggressive cams), and $500 for a good set of cams, and $500 for a professional port job and the grand total is $2,170 give or take.

• MuDPoUNdeR

Posted May 16, 2009 - 10:17 AM

$1800 is a steal considering that the list price is $2,245.95. L&M racing insists this is the exact head that James Stewart is running untouched (though I believe they are running Crower cams instead of GYT-R). You have to concider what you are getting, you are not just paying for porting, you are getting all the parts and keeping your stock head. To buy a stock head and build it up similar wouldn't cost much different. A new stock head (bare) is around $600. Then the valves are about $350, $20 for retainers, $210 for a heavy duty spring kit (for aggressive cams), and $500 for a good set of cams, and $500 for a professional port job and the grand total is $2,170 give or take.

That still doesn't change the fact that it's James Stewart, and that you could have a sweet bike like him but never beat him. It still has a lot to do with the rider. :doh:

• KJ790

Posted May 16, 2009 - 11:34 AM

That still doesn't change the fact that it's James Stewart, and that you could have a sweet bike like him but never beat him. It still has a lot to do with the rider. :doh:

Absolutely, but that doesn't change the fact that works bikes have increadible performing parts. There aren't many other heads used on factory bikes that are availible to the public.

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2009 - 11:56 AM

... I believe they are running Crower cams instead of GYT-R

The particular GYT-R cams in question may in fact be Crowers.

• mikedabike

Posted May 16, 2009 - 05:09 PM

Exactly my thinking. I am looking for a little more go for my supermoto bike and this might be an option with the bonus of no down time and a spare assembly.

• DBMX 925

Posted May 17, 2009 - 01:38 AM

So where is the ride report? I have been looking forward to it. I wish I could buy GYTR knees.................

• Ga426owner

Posted May 17, 2009 - 01:10 PM

Curious that this is not on the GYTR site anymore- what gives?

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2009 - 02:30 PM

It was never on the bike side that I know of. It's listed for the quad:

http://www.yamaha-mo...8/0/detail.aspx

Actually the whole GYT-R section is a little hard to find now. Yopu end up having to use the search at the site. No idea why.

But here:

http://www.yamaha-mo...7379/all/1.aspx

• KJ790

Posted May 17, 2009 - 05:46 PM

It was never on the bike side that I know of. It's listed for the quad:

http://www.yamaha-mo...8/0/detail.aspx

Actually the whole GYT-R section is a little hard to find now. Yopu end up having to use the search at the site. No idea why.

But here:

http://www.yamaha-mo...7379/all/1.aspx

Click the accessories tab, then select your machine and all of the GYT-R parts will come up. You are correct that it was never listed for the bike, only the new quad.

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2009 - 07:17 PM

Click the accessories tab, then select your machine and all of the GYT-R parts will come up. You are correct that it was never listed for the bike, only the new quad.

They restored it since the last time I looked. For about a month or so, there was no link to GYT-R from the accessories page as there normally is.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.