Quick weight loss for the WR450

33 replies to this topic
  • wr250rr

Posted February 21, 2003 - 11:33 AM

The battery weighs about 5 lbs. Kick stand is 2 lbs.
I'm guessing the starter and the reduction gear is about
4 lbs. Concidering the bike starts first kick, its not a bad idea. If I could get a plate fabricated to cover where the starter went, I'd do it. Question is would it cause any problems with the stator or anything else?

• ekemner

Posted February 21, 2003 - 01:51 PM

If you’re going to do all that you should have bought the YZ450F. The only difference at that point is the 4 speed and my gears in my 450 are bigger than the WR and I can still do 73 MPH and out run a WR450 any day. The WR is a good bike, just too heavy. I have added a kickstand, Panorama Odometer, 909 hand guards, 4 oz flywheel weight, FMF Q, coolant overflow and all this only added about 6 Lbs to my bike which means it is still 17 Lbs lighter than the WR450 and this is both bikes full of gas ready to rock and I have a motor that will rock right out of the crate without having to look for Free Power mods.

Eric :) :D

• wr250rr

Posted February 21, 2003 - 02:40 PM

Ya if I wanted a yz, I would have got one. The problem with the yz is it is too explosive and snappy. Not a good woods bike. The tank is too small and it cannot be made street legal. I dont know how fast it is cause I don't drag race it. I race hare scrambles. I bet your front tire knobby's are worn out on an angle. :)
But if you want to compare facts, my ratio is
1st gear 29/12 (2.416) and 5th gear is 21/25 (0.840)
And by the way, if your gonna put a kick stand, odometer, coolant overflow and a flywheel weight, you shopuld have got a WR :D :D :D

• ekemner

Posted February 21, 2003 - 02:57 PM

Do not know who you have been talking too but my YZ450F could be made street legal if I wanted to add the needed lights. Also yes I added all those items but I guess you missed the point! I am still lighter and faster than your bike. Yes it is snappier than the WR but it is very controllable. Yea you have a bigger tank but it is only good for about 10 more miles. Oh yea, I had a WR ordered but I test rode one and also a yzf 450 and switched because of how disappointed I was with the power difference and I did not feel very confidante in the WR with all the problems with the E-start and the Flywheel Key :)

• wr250rr

Posted February 21, 2003 - 03:39 PM

I guess you missed MY point. If your bike is faster top end,(which I dont think it is anyway) It dosen't mean you can race it faster. :) Top end dosen't mean jack. Unless your out in the desert or street riding.
If you really want to go fast, put a 15 tooth front sproket and a 46 rear. I bet you can go over 100 mph. WOW...... you'll really be fast then!!!! :D
And your tank is 1.8 gal, good enough for a 20 min moto.
Mine is 2.6, good enough for a 2 hour HS.
And when the YZ's pit for gas.........there I go :D seeeeeeeeya
:D :D

• tad69

Posted February 21, 2003 - 04:22 PM

Oh yea, I had a WR ordered but I test rode one and also a yzf 450 and switched because of how disappointed I was with the power difference

I was disappointed with the WR as it came also but after cutting the throttle stop , removing exhaust baffle , removing air box lid , cutting grey wire and re-jetting it RIPPED! :)

• ddialogue

Posted February 21, 2003 - 05:47 PM

When you said:

...my gears in my 450 are bigger than the WR and I can still do 73 MPH and out run a WR450 any day.

Were you referring to the stock gearing? I ran my WR450 WFO open and clocked 83mph (it was still gaining momentum) before I shut it down. The YZ450 is a quicker sprinter but the WR will outrun it on the top end.

Just adding some fuel to the fire. :)

• RCannon

Posted February 22, 2003 - 03:25 AM

The new issue of MXA has a decent article on these mods. They claim the bike weighs 250 decked out like a YZ. The idea sounds cool, but the money part of it does not.

It would be cool if a person could order this setup from the factory.....Imagine...WR motor, YZ plastic, two week wait...uh, sure, wake upnow!

• Superbike

Posted February 22, 2003 - 03:53 AM

Ekemer, $20 says I can go faster on WR in the woods. This is a stupid argument at this point. These bikes are both great. The WR is better for off road. Just because of the tranny and the lights. The rest is fluff. The woodruff key so far has been limited to a few bikes. I will take the estart for saving energy in an enduro or HS. You know all know how much extra energy you burn kicking the bike after a fall. You will realize this with the YZ a lot more when you stall the YZ with the tall first gear. This will happen on the YZ in the tight stuff while the WR roosts by. Other than that. Put your YZ where your mouth is :). Really, it will be a fun ride at least. Enjoy your new bikes!!!! ----Mike

• Dentman

Posted February 22, 2003 - 05:18 AM

For some types of riding you just can't beat a wide-ratio tranny. I sometimes wish I had one on my crf. 1st gear is too tall for some technical situations, and if I gear down I lose top speed, same with the yz450. The wr450 is an awesome bike but I don't really see the need for the e-start, it's easy to kick over.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ekemner

Posted February 22, 2003 - 08:30 AM

Yea, yea you can bet all you want. My beginning point was if you’re going to strip off all the goodies like estart, lights etc then you should just buy an YZ450F. I bet due to my skill and the bike I will out ride 90% of the guys on the WRs. I test rode both before I decided on the YZ and the only draw back at this point on the YZ is the suspension is a little stiff for the woods but that is easily remedied. I had to do NO free power mods as it already makes all the power I need and as for stalling that was completely taken out of the equation when I added the 4 oz Dr. D flywheel weight. I have added the following to it- FMF Q, 909 Hand guards, Scotts Dampener, Panorama Odometer, 4 Oz flywheel weight, Coolant overflow, Renthal Bars, Trailtech Aluminum kick stand. And today I had it weighed with a full tank of gas and it only weighed 239 Lbs! Your Wr is way heavier which will leave a lot of people huffing and puffing on the trail. The YZ starts first kick every time hot or cold so I see no need for an e-start. The WR is a nice bike, Just not what I was looking for. :)

• Superbike

Posted February 22, 2003 - 11:23 AM

I was just playing, please do not take me to serious. This is all about having fun you know! I just thought being an expearienced woods guy you would have known better. I am fast enough to beat 90% of the guys on YZ's or WR's in the woods. :) or whatever else you want to ride. If it works for you great! Just do not try to justify your mistake (IMHO) by coming here and trying to tell everyone they bought the wrong bike. you need about a 10 oz on the YZ to make a difference. If you ride HS great, if you want to ride real woods you will not like first gear. Then when you gear down you will lose top speed. Even some of the tight HS will wear you out. These free mods are a direct result of the governments BS they make the factories apply to for having a headlight on the bike. It is cool to pass the guys on the moto bikes with a kick stand! ---Mike

• wr250rr

Posted February 22, 2003 - 11:44 AM

"my bike is faster than yours" and "I can beat 90% of the guys on WR's" ??????
Does that sound like someone who can really ride fast????
I DON'T THINK SO :D :D :)

• xr600r

Posted February 22, 2003 - 11:58 AM

I BET 90% OF THE GUYS OUT THERE ON WR'S AND YZ'S CAN BEAT ME......SO THERE.
BBBBBBBBBBBBHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
:D :D :) :D :D :D :D :D

• beezer

Posted February 22, 2003 - 11:58 AM

I have a YZ450 and a WR450.

You couldn't pay me to ride the YZ in tight woods.

• xr600r

Posted February 22, 2003 - 12:01 PM

i think some of you guys really need to lighten up just a bit. :)

• beezer

Posted February 22, 2003 - 12:07 PM

I think we are all in the same boat, new toys and bad weather.

Last week was 2 feet of snow, this week a friggin monsoon.

Better get some more beer. :)

• ekemner

Posted February 22, 2003 - 03:31 PM

Come to Michigan and lets Rock! :) :D :D :D :D

• Hick

Posted February 22, 2003 - 04:44 PM

I have added a kickstand, Panorama Odometer, 909 hand guards, 4 oz flywheel weight, FMF Q, coolant overflow

If you're going to do all that you should have bought the WR 450F.

My beginning point was if you’re going to strip off all the goodies like estart, lights etc then you should just buy an YZ450F. I bet due to my skill and the bike I will out ride 90% of the guys on the WRs.

You may be an excellent rider (I am not), but your mechanical knowledge of these bikes is a bit lacking IMO.

Just my two cents.

• woodsy2

Posted February 22, 2003 - 04:50 PM

It would be GREAT if someone would answer the mans very pertinent beginning question. I for one would like to hear that one answered! Sounds like a good way to shed some pounds....
Woodsy

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.