Crankcase Breather Position

11 replies to this topic
  • VOODOOCHILD

Posted March 18, 2009 - 05:42 PM

I've searched on ways people route the crankcase breather tube and didn't see anyone that just extended the tube up the frame so it is above the cover by about 6 to 8 inches? The gases can exit and the oil is retained in the case. Is there any reason why that would be a bad idea? Just curious. Thanks for your time.

• spc mike

Posted March 18, 2009 - 05:55 PM

above what cover?

• VOODOOCHILD

Posted March 18, 2009 - 05:58 PM

Above the cam cover. Straight up instead of to the air box or with the tee that everyone uses.

• spc mike

Posted March 18, 2009 - 06:11 PM

well i dont know about the 450's but on the 426's the tank and/or the upper motor mount would get in the way of it going 6-8 inches straight up. however if you were able to snake it through everything you run the risk of the hose kinking and then you will have a big mess from the valve cover gasket blowing out.

• VOODOOCHILD

Posted March 18, 2009 - 06:14 PM

This is on a 400. I've got a spot that I can go up the frame next to another tube that is right next to the breather tube. No kinks, one slight bend.

• spc mike

Posted March 18, 2009 - 06:34 PM

I say try it and let us know if it makes a mess under there.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2009 - 06:41 PM

let us know if it makes a mess under there.

I guarantee it.

• VOODOOCHILD

Posted March 18, 2009 - 06:59 PM

So it needs the other line routed to the air box or down to equalize? Won't it still puke oil out with the tee in place? Can you restrict the oil lost in any way?

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2009 - 07:16 PM

The problem with running it straight up is that, a) the run of hose is way too short to retain any oil that might enter the outgoing air stream, and :) all the crud from under the tank will be sucked straight down that short little tube every time the piston moves up.

The ultimate solution is a Super Moto style catch can/recovery system like the one from Graves.

Everything else about this subject has been discussed ad nauseum infinitum.

• Wiz636

Posted March 19, 2009 - 07:42 AM

Everything else about this subject has been discussed ad nauseum infinitum.

Lol...since when has that stopped us?

I put one of these on the end of my breather tube

Posted Image

...and then zipty it to the inside of the frame right above the front sprocket

Posted Image

It's not the most trick thing you can do but it is quick, easy, and the filter is easy to access and clean.

• NortonMoto

Posted May 11, 2009 - 04:35 PM

Where did you get that?

• WB450

Posted May 12, 2009 - 09:16 AM

Where did you get that?

I got the same thing at Shucks. I think any parts store will have them.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.