rear shock question

17 replies to this topic
  • lewichris

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:01 AM

What is up guys. i just recently noticed my rear shock not coming back to where it would when i get off of it. I have to lift the back end up. Then it goes back down. same on the trail while riding. Then about 30 minutes later it starts working like it was supposed to. i have no leakes that i know of. Do i need to get it rebuilt or just recharged? thanks guys.

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:09 AM

Looks like it's time for you to go on a serious DIET there Dude :)

Either that or get you a shock off a Kenworth...

Bonzai :D

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:12 AM

I 2nd That time to sdto eatin them Idaho Spuds BUDS :)

Seriuosly maybe time to adjust a few things

read up on the link below

[ August 12, 2002: Message edited by: E.G.O.**** ]

• lewichris

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:15 AM

instead of making fun of my weight why dont you give me a hand. I have lost 35 pounds and hit the gym hard. I hardly think it is that. So instead of the fat jokes how about help. Besides i eat my potatoes baked with pepper and fat free ranch.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:28 AM

Sorry if you look at my post I sent a url regarding resetting your suspension.

If you have lost. great thats more to read the post I set. Congrats on the wieght loss I meant no disrespect.

Geez you guys in spud land are so sensitive :)

The explaination you give sounds as though its free sag your questioning.

If the bike is not responding when you get off of it, there wil alwas be about 20 - 25 mm of free sag. Free sag is the weight of the bike settling in. It is a common thing if you have set the suspension up for your heavier wieght, now that you have lost it, then the sag and free sag can be set to accomidate you new wieght.

PLease read the URL there is a lot of info there.

It could also mean that the Shock is in dire need of rebuild....

• lewichris

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:31 AM

what is the one thing you dont like about yourself and i will rip on you about it. I am no sensitive but none of you know me well enough to flip me **** . But hey i am not a girl. I am over it. Just letting you guys know sometimes it hurts a bit.

• John_Lorenz

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:32 AM

I think My pee-pee is to small
I want 14 inches instead of 12

Hows that for ya is that good enough

Geez man grow some skin

Hair no longer grows on my head it is coming out my nose and ears

I no muscle tone anymore

I see only half my feet

I hate it when I have to keep wiping and I always see a streak

Young chiks dont loo at me the way they used too

Should I go On... :)

• lewichris

Posted August 12, 2002 - 06:34 AM

i have some skin. alot of it. You should just be nicer. I could win the lottery you know and then you will want a new bike from me. So BE NICE lol.

• banffboy

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:28 AM

Chris Buddy!

Big Guys make the best riders. Those Hendrix boys will confrim :) I myself, belong to the over 200 lb club. Hope you get your shock sorted out. Peace

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 98yz

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:34 AM

Check all your linkages and bearings. I have had bikes in the past that would stick like that due to some lack of attention. If you haven't had the fluid changed out in a while it is a good idea to do so, you will be amazed at how much better fresh fluid will make suspension feel.

• lewichris

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:41 AM

is fresh fluid something i can do on my own or do i need to send my shock somewhere? thank you

hey banf boy. Cant wait till this fall. Really looking forward to it.

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:41 AM

Lewis, Lewis, Lewis.....The King of slam is a little testy today huh.......

Well if you insist....The one thing that I really hate about myself is my extremely large Penis...I thought I was never going to find a wife.....

Well I've said it.....I feel much better now.

Bonzai :)

• lewichris

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:43 AM

yes it makes it hard for riding dosent it. I would not know i do not have this problem. Say what does this have to do with my shock problem???? i dont care about ppenv. You hung like mules can all get together and compare for all i care. lol

• 98yz

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:46 AM

If you have never done one before I would suggest you get someone to do the fluid change. It is not very difficult, you just have to pay close attention and make sure you get the shock bled properly. You will have to take it to a shop to get the nitrogen filled.

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:48 AM

How long has it been since you checked the bearings on the shock linkage? As previously stated, chances are that you have a lower link bearing binding. I have seen this problem on several occaisions.

I would check that before I started to have the shock rebuilt.

• lewichris

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:50 AM

ok. great. thanks for the ideas. I will check the linkage Would you sugggest changing all bearings while appart. For all i know it may be the original componants. thanks for the help.

Posted August 12, 2002 - 07:58 AM

As you know, I'm not a proponent for changing things out for the heck of it. The bearing replacement kits run about $75.00 for the Link Bearings, and $75,00 for the Swing Arm bearings.

When you pull it down care fully remove the bolts (Slowly) so that it doesn't pull the needle bearings out with it. If there is still some lube inside you can reapply another coat of a good "Molly High Pressure Grease" and reassemble" I do believe that I had to buy the shock bearings separately.

Check out.

• lewichris

Posted August 15, 2002 - 04:58 AM

bearings got a little stiff and gummed up. But no dmage. Just needed cleaned and new grease. thanks for your help.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.