looking at a 01yz426

2 replies to this topic
  • dubkatz

Posted March 18, 2009 - 12:23 PM

hey guys im looking at a 2001 yz426. Owner claims to be the second owner. supposedly runs great starts on 1st kick. Plastics are a little ruff, but he wants 1500. any advice? this there anything to look for when cheacking the bike? The whole ti valves kinda make me nervous.Do they have a short lifespan? are they expesive to replace? can i replace them with steel valves in the future.Im not affraid of oil changes after every ride. or air cleaners maybe even a valves adjustment more offten, but i dont want a 2stroke rebuild sceduale. Im not planning on getting rid of my plated xr600 and im not a motocrosser but i do like the idea of having a tight woods machine.is this a good idea, or am i buying a boat. as in someone thing that im just gonna have to throw money at just to keep it floating? keep in mind im used to my brp.
thanks guys if it wasnt for thumper talk i dont know what i would do:worthy:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • aj_yz426

Posted March 18, 2009 - 05:09 PM

If maintained well, most likely topend and valves are not going to be a problem. Steel are more durable, but I haven't heard much of a problem with the titanium valves as long as its well maintained.

You will probably need to replace timing chain and make sure valves are adjusted. While your at it, an extra $130 or so will get you the hotcams exhaust cam with auto decompression.

You also would need a spark arrestor endcap/exhaust for public land.

It will be much lighter handling than your XR, but not as light handling as a newer aluminum frame 450 due to geometry and lower center of gravity on the aluminum frames.

I would say 1600-1900 is about what a yz426 goes for around here. 1500 sounds like a pretty good deal, maybe because it has cosmetic issues? You could probably get it for alittle less if that's what he's asking. I paid 1800 recently, but its all stock and very clean.

look here: http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=750866

hope this helps.

• JRide6

Posted March 18, 2009 - 05:26 PM

I picked up my 02 426 last month for $1500. It needed some TLC but nothing major. Just did new chain, sprockets, fork seals, bushings, and changed all the fluids. Bike runs great, starts right up.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.