07 yz450 melted air box ?

3 replies to this topic
  • wiles426

Posted March 18, 2009 - 03:48 AM

I bought this bike a month ago,I was cleaning the in side of the air box and found a triangle shaped hole melted in it.size maybe 1x1 1/2,I assume the stock exhaust is quieter for 07 then before,and trapping more heat if that makes scene.I bought some silver faced heat tape from a bike store and put on the out side of the air box where its close to the pipe.Is this normal,this bike might have 10 to 15 hours on it.I still haven't rode it yet,but the track I like to ride is opening on the 29th.

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2009 - 08:35 AM

Do you make a habit of allowing the bike to idle for periods longer than 45 seconds? If so, the melting is not outside the range of normal behavior.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wiles426

Posted March 18, 2009 - 11:23 AM

no I don't let it idle for very long,I found the hole after I bought it.I know these bike get very hot if your not moving.I was just wondering if others have found the same problem.

• mxridr450

Posted March 22, 2009 - 03:00 AM

yeah my bike did the same thing. i let it idle on the stand for like a few minutes cause it was in december and a foot of snow so i couldnt ride.
but my airbox melted all down the side of the pipe. i had to cut out the whole bottom of my air box and remold a new piece of plastic there...
it turned out pretty good. saved me from spending $200 on a new box

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.