back firing and won't idle 02wr 426

8 replies to this topic
  • comp182

Posted August 11, 2002 - 02:22 PM

So, i was riding today up to around 12000 ft with no problem. Came back down and went back up another pass and about 3/4 of the way I had to stop for a 4x4 and the bike seemed to load up and would not idle. So a pulled the Hot start and got it to start but was still running bad and finally died. So after kicking and kicking I just did the old ride it down hill and get it started that way. This worked but still will not Idle and seems to want to back fire slightly. I don't feel that it is jetting because I have been on this ride several times with no problem. Also I got home and Put in new Plug in and Still does the same thing. Any Ideas?????

• jonesy1

Posted August 11, 2002 - 03:04 PM

Check the carb slide? Do a search on carb slide, there have been a few discussions on here about similar problems, some had cracked carb slides. Just a thought.

• Bamster

Posted August 11, 2002 - 03:34 PM

Could it just be dirt in the carb?

• skthom2320

Posted August 12, 2002 - 05:19 AM

I would clean the carb and all jets thoroughly. Make sure and inspect the carb slide for cracks (don't put it back in upside down - it's easy to do).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • comp182

Posted August 12, 2002 - 05:53 AM

Thanks for the info I will clean the carb and look for a crack in the slide plate to night.

• Hick

Posted August 12, 2002 - 08:01 AM

Originally posted by comp182:
Thanks for the info I will clean the carb and look for a crack in the slide plate to night.

Make sure you check the air jets under the carb bell, if your pilot air gets obstructed the bike won't idle.

• comp182

Posted August 12, 2002 - 01:44 PM

OK here is the deal I took the carb off looked at the slide plates and there is no crack. However I took the float cover off and noticed that there is NO Pilot Screw. I Guess I am to assume that the Dealer left it out or it never came from the factory with one???? And I know what you are thinking and no it was not in the cover or anywhere esle. So now my question is that I have 400 miles on this thing and it has never had a pilot screw in it. So is this my problem or is it something else????

• tk421

Posted August 12, 2002 - 02:05 PM

It came with a pilot screw, just vibrated out is all. If you turn it 3 or more turns you run a good chance of it walking out. Better then to go up a size on the pj and one turn on the ps.

• comp182

Posted August 12, 2002 - 02:41 PM

yep, your right it did fall out. Thanks for all your help. Well it looks like I have no excuse but to do the BK Mod now.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.