98 Yz400f

16 replies to this topic
  • mxdude1986

Posted March 17, 2009 - 02:23 PM

Here is my new bike, just finished restoring it ....
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I switched to the stock pipe since the white brothers pipe robs too much power. My gearing is 14/51 Only problem I'm having is when i open the throttle very fast it bogs down. I might have to raise the needle one clip what you guys think?

• TIG88

Posted March 17, 2009 - 02:30 PM

Absolutely incredible!

If you dont mind me asking, how much did powdercoating the frame cost? I'm considering doing it to mine.

• mxdude1986

Posted March 17, 2009 - 02:55 PM

Was $250 including subframe

• FinchFan194

Posted March 17, 2009 - 03:06 PM

Looks good!

• MaxPower

Posted March 17, 2009 - 05:12 PM

[COLOR="Green"]I really like the frame in silver[/COLOR]

• husqy360

Posted March 17, 2009 - 06:19 PM

sweet :) you did an awesome job. :banghead:

• Rockstar14125

Posted March 17, 2009 - 06:27 PM

WOW!!! Thats what mine is supposed to look like. Holy crap ive got a long way to go. For starters, get it running again. lol Nice job.

• Deathdeelr

Posted March 17, 2009 - 08:02 PM

Very nice. I'll have to post my '99 when it's 100% completed.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Birdy426

Posted March 17, 2009 - 08:50 PM

Looks great! What have you checked? Could be fuel screw adjustment, could be a plugged pilot jet, could be that you need to adjust the accelerator "squirt" duration or do the O-Ring mod. A little more info will help us help you. Did it just start this when you completed the resto, or did it bog before you took it apart? While apart, did you do anything to the motor? You may need to go a bit leaner on the jetting as well when switching from the WB pipe to stock...

• 89coptzer

Posted March 17, 2009 - 09:25 PM

simply awesome, i want to do the same this winter to my WR when no more riding if i can finish my dragcar before then

• matt4x4

Posted March 18, 2009 - 03:38 AM

How many rings were you running on the WB - It really shouldn't rob you of power. 6 rings is close to stock - If you go with twelve rings it should breathe way better than stock.
your bog sounds like a plugged AP circuit which is common if stored with gas in the diaphram, however - anything Birdie pointed out could be culprit too.

Oh, BTW - Beautiful restoration!!!!

• mxdude1986

Posted March 18, 2009 - 07:08 AM

Looks great! What have you checked? Could be fuel screw adjustment, could be a plugged pilot jet, could be that you need to adjust the accelerator "squirt" duration or do the O-Ring mod. A little more info will help us help you. Did it just start this when you completed the resto, or did it bog before you took it apart? While apart, did you do anything to the motor? You may need to go a bit leaner on the jetting as well when switching from the WB pipe to stock...

Well when im cruising around slow in 2nd if I gun it it boggs down, everywhere else works fine. I do have a quickshot accelerator pump cover, and the carb is clean I cleaned everything. The only thing done to the motor when it was apart was that the valves where checked and everything was in specs, has new clutch and also i put the yzf 450 AD cams, starts on the first or second kick is awesome. Whats the O-ring mod?

• mxdude1986

Posted March 18, 2009 - 07:10 AM

How many rings were you running on the WB - It really shouldn't rob you of power. 6 rings is close to stock - If you go with twelve rings it should breathe way better than stock.
your bog sounds like a plugged AP circuit which is common if stored with gas in the diaphram, however - anything Birdie pointed out could be culprit too.

Oh, BTW - Beautiful restoration!!!!

I was running 6 but idk I didnt like the way the bilk felt with that muffler. Plus where I ride dont require spark arrestor also the stock muffler was repacked so I like it.

• mxdude1986

Posted March 18, 2009 - 07:13 AM

Also only one other problem I found, Im running engine ice on the bike and also have a motionpro overflow coolant bottle on the bike, I rode it this sunday and when i got home the coolant level was about 1 1/2 inches low. I checked the oil make sure is not goin there looked fine, Im wondering if I have a bad radiator cap. The one there now is a 1.6

• travisn

Posted March 27, 2009 - 09:13 PM

You may have just had a bubble in the system, refill it and ride it once or twice more to burp it all out then start asking questions.

What probably happened is you had an air pocket that got released into the over flow by everything circulating and getting hot then when everything cooled back down more coolant got sucked in so there is less in the over flow.

• TIG88

Posted March 30, 2009 - 02:09 PM

The coolant will typically settle about there. If you top it off and then ride it, the coolant will expand, and the level will usually settle slightly above the start of the fins.

• Steiny08

Posted April 03, 2009 - 07:05 AM

Great Pics....how long ( hours ) did it take, and how many things did you discover during this journey?

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.